Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I've started reminiscing, , had a go with the old Diana .22
    a couple of months ago. Open sights, no scope, five pellets and five
    pieces of coal about 15 yards away. Still managed to hit every one.
    Was quite chuffed after all that time. Must've been 15 years since I
    last touched an air rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
      Discovered a couple of rats in the chicken pen yesterday. 1 friend says .177 with flat head pellets another says .22 bull head.

I can get a good shot at 30 yards and already have a .22 anyone got advice on stratedgy?

Al.
      Hellfire. There is no substitute. I'll send a couple of our guys when they get back from Afghanistan.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
        heres a tip.. stick a bit of wood out, have a few practice shots at a similar sized target...a golfballs good... then spread a bit of smooth peanut butter or mushed up cat food on the board, so they have to eat it there rather than run off with it.while they are eating, you get a bit longer for the shot. and yes they do eat each other.once they are dead, dont pick em up without gloves on,i use a shovel... and burn the orrible little sods.
        when you get bored shooting them you can get a poison that only kills rats, so you dont kill anything but rats...

Funny you should say but I did note that these fuc$*&^ would bound up to the chicken feed and grab a load then bound off back out of sight.
        I shall be mushing cat food in the morning but will keep the chickens out of the way until I deal death to the rats.

(question, will the rats suspect something if the chickens are still shut in the chicken house?)
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

(question, will the rats suspect something if the chickens are still shut in the chicken house?)
          If they can smell food, they'll be there.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
            If they can smell food, they'll be there.
            And so will I with my trusty daystate......... BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM die mother's

BLAM BLAM..

Only used for target shooting and fag packets in the past but sure capable of dealing with these things.

BLAM BLAM........
            Hang on, getting kinda exited now
            Blam

Comment

And so will I with my trusty daystate......... BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM die mother's

BLAM BLAM..

Only used for target shooting and fag packets in the past but sure capable of dealing with these things.

BLAM BLAM........
              Hang on, getting kinda exited now
              Blam

Blam Blam,
              Blam

Comment

Blam Blam,
                Blam
                At this rate, you'll be running naked round the streets if you kill one.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                  At this rate, you'll be running naked round the streets if you kill one.
                  Not likley, Just been down to shut the chicken house door and its a thick frost outside. Could hear "scurrying" down the bottom of the garden as I approached but the light from the tortch must have scared them away.

I will be waiting in the morning!

Out of interest, had the rifle sighted recently, the shop use a device that slots down the bore and makes sighting easy. progress eh? probably been around for years but I aint seen one before I got the rats.

Blam Blam .......Eeek...................

Comment

I will be waiting in the morning!
                    Dawn is the best time. After that, they take to ground.

Out of interest, had the rifle sighted recently, the shop use a device that slots down the bore and makes sighting easy. progress eh? probably been around for years but I aint seen one before I got the rats.
                    A lot easier by the sounds of it, (and cheaper), than doing it the old
                    fashioned way.

Blam Blam .......Eeek...................

Comment

As long as theres some back lighting and with a good scope that allows good light you will see enough to get a shot off.
                      Use the pelletts that leave a nice red glow trace on them you can follow the pellet via the sight once its shot.
                      .22 flat or domed at short distance, more pointed or rounded at distance for the penetration. Head shot better but body will do if nothing else, above all have and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

They will run for the nearest cover so supply the same IE sheet of cardboard mibbi 2' long X 1' high proped against the nearest upright.

Rats are thicko's, they work on "I can't see you so you cant see me", castle the cardboard upside down rampart style 3" apart & pop/squeek all night long.

Comment

According to a rat catcher friend there partial to bit O chocolate also, so nail a square of chocky to your bit o wood & you have coco pop shots at it !!!!
                          Good luck

There's always a Payback.... You just can't see em comin !!!!
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Discovered a couple of rats in the chicken pen yesterday. 1 friend says .177 with flat head pellets another says .22 bull head.

I can get a good shot at 30 yards and already have a .22 anyone got advice on stratedgy?

Al.

.22 more stopping power...

Used pointed pellets for feather and concave pellets for fur.

Concave spread out more on contact...

Headshot if possible, but a chest/major organ area is as good...
                            Last edited by Paff; 10 November 2006, 08:41.
                            Life on the edge is short, but the view is great !

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                              Hellfire. There is no substitute. I'll send a couple of our guys when they get back from Afghanistan.
                              I have to agree with the Apache. If you cantwait that long then 7.62mm or 5.56mm are good for rats, and gofers and squirrals
                              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

This reminds me of Bill Murray in Cadyshack film .
                                "Pesky Gophers!"
                                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
                                X