.22 or .177 for rats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
    This reminds me of Bill Murray in Cadyshack film .
    "Pesky Gophers!"

Comment

You bet me to it Vince . Found a great website dedicated to the film .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
        a golfballs good...
        I would not advise shooting golf balls, even with a .22 air-rifle as you run the risk of ricochets.

You will find some practise targets on this site:
        http://www.mytargets.com/

I’m a keen shooter myself owning 6 rifles on Firearms Certificate (FAC), ranging in size from .22 rim-fire up to dangerous game calibres, oh and a cabinet full of shotguns as well.
        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

this is all reminding me of a first date i went on one time... this guy lived in a boat yard and a nice relaxing evening in summer consisted of sitting on deck chairs somewhere out in the yard, a pack of beers inbetween the chairs.
          basically one person has a torch and the other an air rifle, you get a feel for where the rats will be as we left bait out for them..
          then swtich the high powered light on, which can distract the rat for a split second.. shooter then does his or her best for a shot.
          its a great game to play when you come from the sticks!

my dad has a problem with rats under his shed... was popping them off with the air rifle.. then recently he discovered a weasel has moved in to his garden because of all the easy feeding...
          she's no angel

Comment

Definitely .22 don't bother with Neosorexa rat poison i think it makes em stronger !
            Mind you Claymores could kill your chickens as well
            Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

hi just read your thread got some tips keen airgunner myuself so here goes

1, liquidise cat food like the other chappy said makes them stand still for longer!

2, 22 flat head or hollow point pellets will do the job

3, head shots are kindest and most deadly (dont want one running away and dieing under the shed and stinking for ages!!1

4, dont touch them with your hands, gloves essential. burn when dead.

5, if its the first thing you have killed your adrenalin will be pumping and you will probably miss! make sure your calm and focus your breath and concentrate on your shooting cycle and stay on aim untill the shot hit the target!

6, if a light spooks them you might need to do a bit of preparation. for like 4 days put out the food and have a light on them at around the time your gonna shoot (timer switch is great) they will get used to the food and light and get used to the idea that it is safe so giving you more time to get good shots off clean kills and less rats! the more you miss the wiser they get and the harder it will be!!! they may be vermin but you should not be cruel

7, most of all enjoy the feeling of being out with your gun and protecting your amimals! you might get a liking for the hunt and get yourself some land to shoot on!!!

hope thats of some help. oh and remember if a pellet goes out of your property or area you have permission to shoot then your might get into trouble with the police!!! and they can be very strict!

Most of all GOOD LUCK!!!

ps if you want to see where your shot are going try a bit of tipex in the bottem of the skirt! shines in the light you can see it throught you tellys!!!
              Last edited by drunkmonkeyboy; 10 November 2006, 14:57.
              it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy

ps if you want to see where your shot are going try a bit of tipex in the bottem of the skirt! shines in the light you can see it throught you tellys!!!
                does it work on trousers?
                do i take the telly outside or the tipex inside??
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy
                  try a bit of tipex in the bottem of the skirt!
                  A tip for the transvestite gun owners out there
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Damn, beaten to the punchline!
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                      Hellfire. There is no substitute. I'll send a couple of our guys when they get back from Afghanistan.
                      Why bother with the small stuff, why not use a MOAB, or Lance even, grid square removal, kills everything. DEAD!!

on a more serious note, go for the neck, their skulls are quite tough.

Sticks

Comment

I would generally go for the chest on something fast moving like a rat. Bigger is better as far as I'm concerned, if you just want to kill it not eat it that is. Given up on bunnies with my .22wmr as I got fed up with only getting the back half! Mind you, it was INSTANT.
                        Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

I got 3 rats in our chicken compound earlier this year - with .177 airgun, headshots, domed pellets knocked them straight down. I have .22 guns as well, but the .177 is precharged theoben, so more accurate on a rested shot.
                          the .177 is now FAC, so if rats come back they are in for a shock, although i would probably use the 12-bore instead now.

I found putting all chicken food away at night has stopped other rats from coming.
                          Landcruiser Colorado
                          Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
                            I got 3 rats in our chicken compound earlier this year - with .177 airgun, headshots, domed pellets knocked them straight down. I have .22 guns as well, but the .177 is precharged theoben, so more accurate on a rested shot.
                            the .177 is now FAC, so if rats come back they are in for a shock, although i would probably use the 12-bore instead now.

I found putting all chicken food away at night has stopped other rats from coming.

Thanx for all the response folks,
                            I waited and waited but no rats came......... then the farmer cut the field behind our house and I aint seen one since.

I hope they come back as I want to shoot me some of these things.
                            I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
                              Thanx for all the response folks,
                              I waited and waited but no rats came......... then the farmer cut the field behind our house and I aint seen one since.

I hope they come back as I want to shoot me some of these things.
                              BBQ rat on a stick ....YUM YUM
                              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Working...
                              X