.22 or .177 for rats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .22 or .177 for rats

Discovered a couple of rats in the chicken pen yesterday. 1 friend says .177 with flat head pellets another says .22 bull head.

I can get a good shot at 30 yards and already have a .22 anyone got advice on stratedgy?

Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

Originally posted by phoebelala
    Discovered a couple of rats in the chicken pen yesterday. 1 friend says .177 with flat head pellets another says .22 bull head.

I can get a good shot at 30 yards and already have a .22 any got advice on stratedgy?

Al.

Disguise yourself as a piece of cheese?

Comment

I can get a good shot at 30 yards and already have a .22 any got advice on stratedgy?

Al.
      I used my .22 (bull head pellets) on a couple of rats on the farm where my daughter keeps her horse.

Nice clean head shot on one of 'em - LMAO

Lindas getting me a new telescopic for Christmas.
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

I can get a good shot at 30 yards and already have a .22 anyone got advice on stratedgy?

Al.
        .22. .177 will go clean through, .22 tend to mangle things a bit more. Plus,
        aim for the head/spine if possible. They ain't easy to kill.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          And wait till they eat me.... then "spring" into action yes?

Seriously, they are coming out at 8.30 AM and scoffing the chicken pellets, cheeky Bast^&%$.

Do I go for head or body?, never killed anything bigger than a wasp before, but can't have this going on at the bottom of our garden.

Comment

Now that is funny.

There's a rat back in the feed room. This time we've left the horse's sugar beet pellets down for it. When he eats it, it will expand to about 20 times its original size and hopefully blow his guts out of his ar5e.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
              I used my .22 (bull head pellets) on a couple of rats on the farm where my daughter keeps her horse.

Nice clean head shot on one of 'em - LMAO

Lindas getting me a new telescopic for Christmas.

Jeez! you got some range on that air rifle then!

Comment

Jeez! you got some range on that air rifle then!
                You're on form tonite - I'll line em up and you knock em down

Comment

" There's a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna do, there's a rat in me kitchen what am I gonna do, I gonna shoot dat rat that's what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna shoot dat rat"

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                    Now that is funny.

There's a rat back in the feed room. This time we've left the horse's sugar beet pellets down for it. When he eats it, it will expand to about 20 times its original size and hopefully blow his guts out of his ar5e.

A most fitting "end " but with the 2 dogs and 1 cat and the chickens i seek to protect, i think i will take the .22 option As I say, I aint a kliller and this will be a first. I have shot many a tin can and balloon in my time but I guess its time to line them furry critters lungs with lead............

Comment

A most fitting "end " but with the 2 dogs and 1 cat and the chickens i seek to protect, i think i will take the .22 option As I say, I aint a kliller and this will be a first. I have shot many a tin can and balloon in my time but I guess its time to line them furry critters lungs with lead............
                      As long as you inflict fairly serious damage to them, even if they get away,
                      the other rats will finish them off if they're wounded.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                        And then get bigger, fitter, and out for revenge...
                        It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF

Good point, Never thought of that! I would honestly rather not have kill these critters but I do, and a quick head shot with instant death appeals more than a slow lingering ratty type of death.

Do they really eat each other when wounded?

My goodness

Comment

Do they really eat each other when wounded?
                            Oh yes. They don't linger either. Donkeys years ago, can remember seeing
                            the head, (body had already been scoffed), being dragged into a rat hole a
                            couple of hours after the rat had been injured! Vicious little beasts with no
                            loyalties.

Comment

heres a tip.. stick a bit of wood out, have a few practice shots at a similar sized target...a golfballs good... then spread a bit of smooth peanut butter or mushed up cat food on the board, so they have to eat it there rather than run off with it.while they are eating, you get a bit longer for the shot. and yes they do eat each other.once they are dead, dont pick em up without gloves on,i use a shovel... and burn the orrible little sods.
                              when you get bored shooting them you can get a poison that only kills rats, so you dont kill anything but rats...
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X