wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring

i want to wire two additonal cigarette type sockets into my boot - i have found some nice 12v marine sockets but don't have a clue about wiring them in (don't laugh) - is it possible to use the same wire directly from the battery to both sockets if so which wire do i use ?
    Bunkle
    Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Yes. Run a fresh wire, fused, from the battery for the sockets, using a cable
    that can cope with the load you intend to use.

Comment

thanks matt, but how do i feed both sockets with one wire ? -
      Bunkle
      Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

you need a wire that is calculated on the load of what you want to run then just splt the wire to each socket.

someone will be along soon to let you know in more depth i think.....
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
          Yes. Run a fresh wire, fused, from the battery for the sockets, using a cable
          that can cope with the load you intend to use.

and fit the fuse as close to the battery as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunkle
            thanks matt, but how do i feed both sockets with one wire ? -
            Run the wire to one socket, and then on to the next, but use big enough wire to cope with both socket loads.
            It just does, OK?

Comment

so is it ok to run from the positive on the battery to an inline fuse then onto one socket positive, and then using another piece of wire run from that socket positive to the next socket positive, then ground each to a bolt somewhere on the body - again apologies if i'm being dim

i've got a small 12v drill, a fairly powerful work lamp etc all which would be handy to use in the back, should 17amp wire be enough ?
              Bunkle
              Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

so is it ok to run from the positive on the battery to an inline fuse then onto one socket positive, and then using another piece of wire run from that socket positive to the next socket positive, then ground each to a bolt somewhere on the body - again apologies if i'm being dim
                Correct..

i've got a small 12v drill, a fairly powerful work lamp etc all which would be handy to use in the back, should 17amp wire be enough ?
                We'll need to know the power (Wattage) of the drill and the light..
                It just does, OK?

Comment

Hello

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/auxpower.htm

Did I beat Vince to a link?????

And some general electrical stuff

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/electrical.htm
                  Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Yep, thats the size I used. I used the bolts on the tailgate latch for an earth point.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                      Hello

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/auxpower.htm

Did I beat Vince to a link?????
                      I was supplying links to another thread!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                        I was supplying links to another thread!
                        DOH.......
                        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

now now don't fight - the links are jus what i needed, they recomend wiring the negative to the battery so i spose thats what i'll do - thanks again, i'll check the wattage of drill and lamp tomorrow then no doubt i'll be back asking more questions -
                          Bunkle
                          Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

now now don't fight - the links are jus what i needed, they recomend wiring the negative to the battery so i spose thats what i'll do -
                            I wasn't going to say so, , but that is a better option than earthing via the
                            chassis/bodywork. With a seperate neg cable straight from the battery, you
                            don't have to worry about possible problems. The bodywork is convenient,
                            but not always reliable.

Comment

Working...
                            X