Dummy roof bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dummy roof bar

Has anyone reading this got a dummy roofbar on the back of their truck to support a long roof rack? i.e. one that doesn't actually fix to the truck but is attached to the roof rack and just sits on the roof?

I've seen a few people such as Bundubasher do something along these lines, but I was wondering what bars are best to use - what car they are from? Most seem to have connectors to fit to the appropriate vehicle and I need some without.
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

when you find out let me know - my biggest dissapointment with the surf (2nd gen) is the lack of avaiable roofracks, i've got the thule bars but there far to close together to serve much practical use, i was thinking of getting one of their "long baskets" and adding a dummy bar myself but like yourself not sure waht to use
    Bunkle
    Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

forgive me... but the roof profile for the rear feet on a standard Thule should still fit at the back of the roof line... rather than the rear door (or in addition to)

So a Thule kit to cover the two doors down each side.... and a third bar (duplicate of the rear door, minus the gutterless fixings should do it) 'floating' at the rear all attached to a basket?

Or go mad like I did...

Comment

Makes sense to me.

And I might just have a spare Thule bar now one of mine has been used to make a light bar.

Offers of beer, or even cash direct to me please
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

thule do 2 door gutterless adapter kit which is 2 short side bars and some bit and pieces, but it was 140 quid 10 years ago... if its just to go under the back of a tray, another bar same as whatever rack you have, but with no clamps on it should do the job. or you could fit rails, and fit the tray to that. or.. aiba works do a tray that fits onto the wiper motor at the back and clamps to the back doors, that works nicely...
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

like the sound of the aiba works idea - where can i find there products, did a quick look on google but couldn't find anyone selling it - meanwhile Apache, how much do you think a floater is worth ?
            Bunkle
            Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Someone on here will remember the great roofbar giveaway from a couple of months back, what did whoever made that come up with in the end?
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                Someone on here will remember the great roofbar giveaway from a couple of months back, what did whoever made that come up with in the end?
                no idea, the chap who should have recieved them a while back hasn't been on for ages, and the website for the company (truckracks) still dont have them on thier website. might be worth a call though, their racks on transits ans suchlike look good. i'll stick a link up when i get home.. (shab, are you still here? did you get the` rack???)
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

think i have it sussed (not clever, copied bundubasher) i have 2 thule bars already, i leave one as far forward as i can the second above the rear doors and then a thule Short Roof Adaptor 777 behind this (still above rear doors) which i can then attach a dummy bar to above the rear windows - now all i need is the money
                  Bunkle
                  Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                    Makes sense to me.

And I might just have a spare Thule bar now one of mine has been used to make a light bar.

Offers of beer, or even cash direct to me please
                    Apache you have a PM
                    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

mmm - me thinks snoop is about to buy a floater - anyone else got one ?
                      Bunkle
                      Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by Bunkle
                        mmm - me thinks snoop is about to buy a floater - anyone else got one ?
                        Had one this morning but it went on the second flush
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

are these any good :-

http://www.tycobuilding.com/user/PDF...FSGBDF2%20.pdf

Comment

above available from here :- http://www.cablemanstore.co.uk/erol.html#1X0

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-ROOF...QQcmdZViewItem

i bought a set of these a few weeks ago. not had a chance to fit them yet but they look good quality.

check out his other items, because i only payed about £70, he will probablly have another set that you can bid on rather than a buy it now price.

hope to try and make a aluminium cage to fix to them, hopefully one that will take a 8" x 4" sheet. i like the look of the land rover cages, but there are very expensive. and as i am no welder and i want to use aluminium i am opem to suggestion as what to make it out of.

cheers scotty

Comment

Working...
                              X