yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is advertising in the autotrader worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is advertising in the autotrader worth it?

Eh up,

I'm really needing to sell the truck soon, so considering putting her in the autotrader this week. But do you guys think its worth it?

I did this last year when selling my Skyline, and all I got was knobhead chavs calling up and giving abuse to show their mates how 'ard they were, and $$$$$$ canvassing companies promising they would "sell the car in 1 week as they had buyers lined up, all for an initial outlay of £100 which i'd get back when the car was sold!" .

It'll cost £35 to get the truck in the autotrader for 1 week, and 2 weeks on the site. Or for 2 weeks in the mag and 3 weeks on the site its £45. Or 2 weeks just on the website is £16.99, or 6 weeks on the website is £34.99.

Think the last option is out of the question as I cannot still have this car in 4 weeks time, thats when the new one is coming.

So what do you think? Is the autotrader worth it?

Martin
    Last edited by B16mts; 6 November 2006, 13:48.
    Just trying to raise my postcount!

Nope!

I've tried Autotrader a couple of times and although I did shift one car through it, I've mostly been dissapointed with the results. The canvassers are the worst. No end of calls from them but also a general lack of response. Problem always seems to be that there is someone wanting to shift the exact same vehicle as yours for much less.

On the subject of prices, I know that Surfs are worth much more than they seem to be getting just now but, having watched prices just recently, I think £3500 is very much top end for the year you've got. I bought mine just a month ago, same year, same spec, - £2300 & I can't fault it. It's a bummer when you're selling, but great if you're buying.

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts
      Eh up,

I'm really needing to sell the truck soon, so considering putting her in the autotrader this week. But do you guys think its worth it?

I did this last year when selling my Skyline, and all I got was knobhead chavs calling up and giving abuse to show their mates how 'ard they were, and $$$$$$ canvassing companies promising they would "sell the car in 1 week as they had buyers lined up, all for an initial outlay of £100 which i'd get back when the car was sold!" .

It'll cost £35 to get the truck in the autotrader for 1 week, and 2 weeks on the site. Or for 2 weeks in the mag and 3 weeks on the site its £45. Or 2 weeks just on the website is £16.99, or 6 weeks on the website is £34.99.

Think the last option is out of the question as I cannot still have this car in 4 weeks time, thats when the new one is coming.

So what do you think? Is the autotrader worth it?

Martin
      Well for £17 what have you got to lose
      I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

the more advertising = the more people will see it = the more chance you have of selling it
        i think mike is right its a buyers market !!!at one time was thinking of selling mine and getting a 3rd gen , prices are to low so keeping it now
        you will have to put up with the yoyos and crank calls from a/t ,my mate sold hes suzuki in a/t nearly drove him mad
        good luck with the sale
        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

I would go with just the 2 weeks on the website for £16.99. It seems that most people don't buy the magazine anymore, they just look on the website & the website is national where as the mag is regional.

Comment

Personally I prefer the Autotrader web-site. I first used it last year when I was looking for a sports car. After searching the local papers, Autotrader magazine and e-bay I found a car (on the web-site) 2 miles from home, after a test drive in the rain at 10 pm I left a deposit (yes I know what they say about buying a car in the rain)….. …. picked it up next day and was pleased to see it was in excellent condition. The car was in the magazine but I had not seen it.

Last month I was looking for a car for my Father and I had been up even earlier than normal on Thursday mornings to buy the Autotrader, Quids in & Loot, then off to work in order to rush through the adds, make some calls and then organise my day so I could take time off work to go and look at cars…… mostly a big waste of my time! Why can’t these mags come out late Friday/ Saturday morning when people are not in work and have more time to look????

I’d seen a car on the Autotrader site at a garage that sells Jap imports (chance for me to look at some 4x4’s) my Dad said he liked it so I bought it for him….. then a few days later I found my 3ltr. V6 at another garage (again advertised on the web-site) and did a deal there and then.

The Autotrader site gives you far more detail and better pictures and you can do a search within your preferred distance…. all these three car where bought within 5 miles of home.

New addverts are going up on the web-site each day.... and you can check what's new on a regular basis.
            Last edited by PDR; 6 November 2006, 16:13. Reason: Add text
            Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

ive bought sold and traded in virtually all of my cars through Autotrader website. depiste trying all other methods too, such as othe4r magazines, sign in teh car window, word of mouth etc. Started using their website 9 years ago when i found my vitara, then i found my next car, a punto on autotrader and sold the vitara with autotrader, then i sold the punto through auto trader and bought my first motorbike with the very same autotrader. after that i found my jeep and my suzuki GSXR though the autotrader website and flogged my honda motorbike and the jeep, bought a MR2.. found my surf on there and traded the MR2 in with the same garage. hey presto... where i am now, advertising the surf on there for much much less than I could have imagined when i bought it less than 2 years ago
              she's no angel

Comment

I've found autotrader website to be good, as long as you are willing to sell for a reasonable price compared to other localish sellers - sold my last car via there with decent description and decent pics.

A couple of tips tho:

1 - Never, ever put an email address on your ad - you will be bombarded with scammer spam - I was getting 1 to 3 emails per day like that until I removed the email.

2- Always put "No canvassers, agencies or scammers" or something like that. o.k. so you still may get a few but will hopefully cut down or better when they see you are switched on. I had no dodgy calls on my last ad after putting something like that.
                No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Another thing I sometimes try for a couple of weeks are the local freeads/ad-trader papers, becuase they are free so you lose nothing apart from a couple of weeks...
                  No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Working...
                  X