Advice reqired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice reqired

hello, i just browsed in (been lurking for a couple of days)... i need some advice because i'm considering buying a Surf or maybe a double cab hilux.

We'd certainly be buying the 2.4 engine, now reading though the other threads it seems this has a bit of a bad reputation with the head. Can someone explain to be exactly what the problem is (warpage, cracking etc) and on which model years the problem is apparent, approx costs to fix? and does this affect only the Surf?

Also which models are the best to go for equipment spec? (im not too fussed about interior trim)

thanks
    [I][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]

Originally posted by Dexter
    hello, i just browsed in (been lurking for a couple of days)... i need some advice because i'm considering buying a Surf or maybe a double cab hilux.

We'd certainly be buying the 2.4 engine, now reading though the other threads it seems this has a bit of a bad reputation with the head. Can someone explain to be exactly what the problem is (warpage, cracking etc) and on which model years the problem is apparent, approx costs to fix? and does this affect only the Surf?

Also which models are the best to go for equipment spec? (im not too fussed about interior trim)

thanks
    hi dexter,
    i,ll leave a more mechanically minded member to explain the head probs but you could always buy one thats had the head replaced with the re-designed head, no worries then.
    as for models and spec i think its a bit of a lottery as there are models lower down the model range with so many factory fitted optional extras they could be top of the range except for the badge.
    all in all, i would say buy one, best motor iv,e had(91 2.4 ssr-ltd) and i would only get rid of it to get another surf.
    hope this helps.
    ship

Comment

It was a manufacturing fault on the head around 91/92 affecting 2.4 only. Toyota Japan issued a recall and some heads were swapped. If the car you were buying has an original faulty head then you may have a problem. A poll on here a while back indicated that approx 50% of 2.4 owners had a problem. So if you buy a 2.4 make sure you get a warranty (for as long as poss) that covers the head, or proof that a new (not reconditioned) head has been fitted.
      For more info do a search on "heads"
      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Dexter

thanks

Models as listed below, top spec down, but think if you get a standard SSR-G it will be better than say an SSR-X because if the previous owner went for the options the SSR-X could be better than the SSR-G.
        You will find so many optional extra's on these its unbelievable
        SSR-G
        SSR-X
        SSR-V
        SSR Ltd
        SSR
        Also check this thread out http://yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/showthr...ghlight=MODELS

As for the heads it was a design fault, with the waterways being to near the valve guides. With a new head fitted (redesigned) (oh dont bother with a recon or stitched one the problem will come back) the problem shouldn't re occur.
        As to whether you but a duff one or good one is unfortunately a bit of a lottery unless the dealer or previous owner can catagorically say its had a new head ans show receipts to prove it.
        There is a list of frame No's of the recalled Surf's but being as these are imports and we don't know a lot of previous history with them and that the majority info collected via the web, I am not sure this list is that comprehensive.
        Why because mine wasn't on the list but the head cracked and I know of two others whoses wasn't on the list and the head cracked.
        To replace the head as a DIY job your looking at £750-£800 for new complete head, stretch bolts, gaskets and five new belts, if taking it to a garage I would still suggest you supply the head so add the labour to the above price.
        Having said all that if you can pick up a motor within your budget you will have some spare to put to the head should it crack. All in all, yes my head went and yes I would buy another 2.4 and should the head go again I would simply replace it again thats how much I like my Surf and am sure the same goes for most others.
        Just look at those whose heads have gone, they didn't rush out and get rid of it they repaired it and still enjoy it today, such is the pleasure of owning these motors.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

I like my Surf and am sure the same goes for most others.
          Just look at those whose heads have gone, they didn't rush out and get rid of it they repaired it and still enjoy it today, such is the pleasure of owning these motors.
          .............................. .............................. .............................. ..

And so say all of us
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

I have a 2.4 and yes the head is a bit of an inconvience but once done is not a worry. I love mine and would only consider changing it for another ( probably a 3 ltr ) but don't see that happening for many years. I consider it the first 'proper' motor that I've ever owned and certainly the first that's ever made me want to get my hands grubby maintaining it.

Comment

Originally posted by marky
              I like my Surf and am sure the same goes for most others.
              .............................. .............................. .............................. ..

And so say all of us
              Ive had mine 5 years ok its a 1st gen 1988/9 2.4 and Ive had no problems at all except wear and tear, and at 15 years old she still goes when and where I ask.
              Take your time over getting a surf, look around and buy one. You will never want anything else.

sumo.
              If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Dexter,

Here's a hint about owning a Surf........

The engine in mine - yes the complete head / bore block - is officially shot as of yesterday.

Would I change anything about the car I bought ? NO !!

I love it and even if it does cost me the sharp end of £1500+ to put right, I'm keeping her
                [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

The Surf is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned(1996,3rd Gen 3.0Ltr),I have never owned a 2.4 so I couldn't possibly comment.I was torn between buying a double cab pick up(L200 or Toyota Hilux) and a Surf.I eventually(after much deliberation and browsing this forum)bought a Surf in July 2003,no regrets whatsoever.