Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf goes all wobbly!!!

Guys

I have a 96 3rd Gen, bought from here. It has a 4in lift kit fitted. It wobbles under braking which I reckon is the discs so not an issue but the problem is she kind of wobbles!!!

There seems to be too much free play in the wheel as far as I am concerned and when you hit the grooves on the motorway, that get left by big trucks on the inside lane, she can go very violently to the side...it is almost like the steering wheel is not connected to the wheels. She also groans when the wheel is turned, I can hear it in the cab...

Any ideas? I do need to get the alignment done but cannot find anywhere to do it in the Grantham area...so help here please...

TA
    [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

How old is the lift kit, it could be worn shocks.
    The groaning noise could be where the steering column goes through the floor and is rubbing.

Freeplay in the steering could be track rod end balljoints or other steering components are worn, maybe the steering damper if you have large tyres.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 31 October 2006, 14:51.

Comment

Mine used to be a bit 'squirmy' under acceleration and the steering was a little vague.

That turned out to be a worn steering idler.

Comment

That turned out to be a worn steering idler.[/QUOTE]

3rd Gens don't have steering idlers, they have rack & pinion.

Comment

Thanks guys...since I am mechanically inept, it looks like she will have to go in the garage. Can anyone suggest a good one in Grantham?
          [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

Comment

Freeplay in the steering could be track rod end balljoints or other steering components are worn, maybe the steering damper if you have large tyres.[/QUOTE]

Vince,

No steering dampers are fitted to 3rd Gens, unless it's been modified with the lift.

Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by lclascaris
              Freeplay in the steering could be track rod end balljoints or other steering components are worn, maybe the steering damper if you have large tyres.
              Vince,

No steering dampers are fitted to 3rd Gens, unless it's been modified with the lift.

Lewis[/QUOTE]

Maybe it could do with one then!

Comment

Yeah, it might want a steering damper if its bigger than 33" tyres, any sort of lift will expose slightly worn steering components, even if they where OK before the lift.

Steering rack bushes are common wear items on 3rd gens.

You don't say what size tyres it has, is the lift all suspension lift? or half body lift and half springs?
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I agree Vince, in the 10 years that I have worked in the motor trade & driven several models of 4X4, I always found that the ones with steering dampers were better.

I found that 4x4's with rack & pinion are ok if the tyres weren't to large. As in my 3rd Gen with 265/75/16's you feel the road bumps & ruts. The bumps & ruts probably get exagerated with a suspension lift especially if there are any ball joints that are worn.

Regards

Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
                    Guys

There seems to be too much free play in the wheel as far as I am concerned and when you hit the grooves on the motorway, that get left by big trucks on the inside lane, she can go very violently to the side...it is almost like the steering wheel is not connected to the wheels.

Any ideas? I do need to get the alignment done but cannot find anywhere to do it in the Grantham area...so help here please...

TA
                    As previously discussed I get the same problem as you & it seems some other 3rd Gen owners have experienced this.

I got an alignment check today & it was only a fraction out which was then corrected he also swapped my front wheels with rears as there seemed to be a bit of stepping in the tread but still not a real improvement, the mechanic told me that he thinks that my tyres are cr@p & that there is to much flex in the side walls & that is what is causing the problem. He said he can also feel the back end of the vehicle wobble when hitting pot holes etc.

He believes that another brand of tyre will stop this. The current tyres that I have fitted are 265/70R16 BFGoodrich Macadam, has anyones else got these fitted?

I would be interested to hear what brand of tyres other 3rd Gen owners have & your thoughts please.

Many Thanks

Regards

Lewis

Comment

Hi,
                      I experienced the same problem of `running ruts on motorway` in an old hilux pick-up. The problem was solved by new tyres.