Tyre wear and alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre wear and alignment

When I changed from my old BFG ATs about 4 months ago, I noticed that the front tyres were worn more on the inside, the drivers side more so.

When I had the MTs fitted, I had the tracking adjusted. However, when under the truck last weekend, I noticed that the insides are still wearing more the the outside, and looking from the front of the truck, a definite camber can be seen. Slightly more on the drivers side wheel. It's always pulled slightly to the left too.

Anyone got any recommendations as to where to take the truck to have this sorted out? I know the front suspension geometry on these is adjustable in all manners, but what kind of place would know what they're doing with it and not just take wedge off me for little change?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

I get all the trucks I've worked on done at Micheldever, may be a trip but they do it properly.

Where ever you take it, make sure you tell them you want a full alignment, not just the toe in/out set.

The minute you adjust the torsion bars at all it alters the tracking.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      I get all the trucks I've worked on done at Micheldever, may be a trip but they do it properly.

Where ever you take it, make sure you tell them you want a full alignment, not just the toe in/out set.

Tony, have you had full alignments done on 3rd Gens there?

If so, can you please let me have there details as I need mine doing.

Many Thanks

Regards

Lewis

Comment

Yeah, one of the guys in the tracking shop owned a 3rd gen!

http://www.micheldever.co.uk/

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

My alignment is pants, despite several "reputable" places having a go at it and charging me silly money. I have the road tyres back on the truck now and it is even more noticable than with the MTs on. In fact one of my front tyres will be down to the wear indicators soon.
          There is next to no wear in my steering set-up as I have had it up on the ramps at my brothers workshop. Even the steering idler arm is still nice and tight.
          Have you noticed how most garages will tell you that it is driving off road and speed humps that knock your steering geometry out, even if you take it back two days later and tell them you are not satisfied with their super-duper laser alignment job. These trucks have commercial vehicle grade steering components FFS.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

The chaps I know at Farnborough swear by Micheldever. Maybe next time I'm down that way I'll take thr truck instead of hire car...
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

My truck is also wearing on the insides. One side slightly more than the other. I've asked Toyota at Oxford, but their machine is broke.

Tony, have you got the official measurements for a 2nd gen truck? I can't find out what they are. When I get new rubber I want to get it sorted out and will take it to that place you mentioned.

Comment

yes WHAT IS THE TRACKING SETTINGS FOR THE SURF ?????

Comment

Same as a 4RUNNER
                  www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

which Is !!!!!
                    Come on lads its a simple enough question, what is the tracking on a 1993 3 litre diesel Surf
                    Last edited by Bracpan; 15 November 2006, 18:33.

Comment

I take it thats 15mins toe out? or toe in? God for such a simple question I would have thought some one would have had the reply in seconds. No wounder people keep getting problems with the tracking.
                      Cheers
                      phil

Comment

Appologies for wasting your time, I have now removed my link.

Comment

Originally posted by Bracpan
                          I take it thats 15mins toe out? or toe in? God for such a simple question I would have thought some one would have had the reply in seconds. No wounder people keep getting problems with the tracking.
                          Cheers
                          phil
                          Any DECENT garage will have the info for a 4Runner, so why do you need to know?
                          Just leave it to them.
                          It just does, OK?

Comment

OH well done ....Now vince has thrown his dummy out of his pram
                            Thats us all sc*ewed for useful links for the rest of the week
                            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                              Appologies for wasting your time, I have now removed my link.
                              well Vince that is the 1st time i've seen you do that
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X