Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• key broke in doorlock

hello everybody,

the key broke in the doorlock of my surf and the frontpiece of the key (1cm) is still inside the lock. does anyone know, if it's easy to remove the doorlock and then, especially the piece, or is it a big thing?
    (i'm working in the african bush, the nearest mechanic is about 300km away..)
    thanks,
    surfando

maybe a tiny bit of super glue on the end of the broken key, then push it in till it touches the other half?
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

can you not just leave it in and use the other half of the key to open / lock it.

Comment

Is there a B&Q nearby
        Unless the lock itself is jammed or the broken off tip of the key is stuck halfway in it should still work if you insert the broken key in and turn it,
        you just wont be able to use another key,
        If the superglue dont work then it's a strip down, fittings and door card off and remove the lock, held in with a spring clip i think, may be easyier to replace the lock barrell and get new keys,
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

The wifes best eyebrow tweezers might get it

Seriously though, I reckon that superglue is a bit risky because you could end up with the key stuck in the lock.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
            The wifes best eyebrow tweezers might get it

Seriously though, I reckon that superglue is a bit risky because you could end up with the key stuck in the lock.
            Thats alright as long as it unlocks the door aswell
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

there is a b&q some km away, just behind the 5th baobab, but unfortunately there ist no car park
              as i am lucky to have some super glue here, i think i will try this first. least effort.

thanks for the ideas

Comment

If the spuerglue method don't work then you might have to strip the door down and remove the lock.
                Try using two strong needles first to pick at the key as taking the lock barrel out is just the start of the fix as you will have to strip the barrel down.

if you have to strip the door down and you are not sure what to do then please ask as you can bust things you don't want to bust.
                regards

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X