Radio control cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio control cars

I'm sure someone on here will have had experience with them and may be able to help me out.
    I have just bought a large rc 4X4 (only cost £2) I've tested it and it works perfectly, however I bought it without a controller.
    In my loft I had a very old RC car belonging to my son which was pretty smashed up and I thought that the controller from that may operate the 4X4.
    Unfortunately when I tried it, no go.
    Methinks, all I have to do is remove the crystal from the old cars receiver and fit it to the new one,(hope you're following this cause I'm confusing myself) however when I opens up the new car hey presto, no crystal (how does it know what frequency it's on without a crystal).
    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Paul you have to have a pair of matching Chrystals 1 for the car & 1 in the Transmitter handset
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Hi Mark
      Yeh, thats what I thought but there's no crystal in the 4X4s receiver circuitry.

Paul

Comment

BUGGA
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Lots of the cheaper R/C stuff are bacially just toys, the frequency is built into the electronics and you can't mess with much unlike the 'proper' R/C models.

If you know what frequency the new car runs on, you might be able to buy a crystal for your old receiver and work it like that, but don't know for sure.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yeah, if you can find out the frequency of the receiver in the new one (it's sometimes on a sticker on the receiver or somewhere on the bottom) you might be able to buy a matching crystal for the transmitter. The bandwidth that's allowed for RC toys is fairly small, so you've got a decent chance of it being in one of the available frequencies (I think there's 6 or 8 or something - they're a different colour each).

If it was me, I'd pull the receiver out of the old one and stick it in the new one. In all likelihood, it's going to be a simple two channel thing and each channel will have a positive and negative to a servo. The worst you can cock it up is to make it go left instead of right and backwards instead of forwards.

Comment

Just thought, when I said I tested the 4X4 I used a controller from another rc toy, all I need to do is dismantle that controller and see what crystal it uses and get one the same (brilliant)

Paul

Comment

Working...
              X