Been Busy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been Busy

Dont look like i'm going to get much done on the truck this side of xmas which is a real pi$$er as i got a tow bar, rear bar and roof spots ready to go on, plus the chassi paint etc, what started as doin the bedroom out has turned into a big strip down, i pulled off some plactic conduit on the ceiling fan and half the artex fell off, so as these places have no earth on the lighting circuit i decieded to cut out some ceiling and try and replace at least the wireing in the bedroom (i can continue it through the other rooms later) at least i wont have to get the ceiling down or the floor up again in this room especially as she wants solid wood flooring, Im rerunning the heating and electric's round behind the skirting so i can get at it if need be, also have to fit a bannister and spindles and im no carpenter, managed to chizel out the remains of the old newell post at the bottom of the stairs without F**king up the joint on the stair main beam, this is really taxing my chizeling skills, Then there's that chinese made nordic steam/shower thing to fit (no bl00dy instructions), at least it seems to be all there and not damaged, a few pics attached, i boarded over the hole above our bed in case anything with legs fell out in the night and went in my open gob
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Phone DIY SOS, get them to sort out the house and get on with the truck. Priorities mate priorities:

Spoggle

Comment

nice to see you are keeping busy!
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

why didnt u get a newel post with a spigot in the bottom . ya just chop the old one off level drill a 22mil hole glue and wack it in . job done
        black n tan
        black n tan
        yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Originally posted by slydog
          why didnt u get a newel post with a spigot in the bottom . ya just chop the old one off level drill a 22mil hole glue and wack it in . job done
          Did'nt fancy it all depending on a 22m dowell plus my level and verticle skills aint that great when it comes to drilling, it would have ended up on the pi$$,
          so far i've only cut the slot for the tounge, i got to cut out another bit at the bottom so it sits on the bottom step return as well so it held from both sides, some dowells and big screws and it should be solid, dont want the old dutch leaning on it, snaping it and going for a burton (or do i)

Comment

every guy should learn by now...that a simple job wanted by the partner always tends to be twice as finicky and twice as long as it should be.

I did the kitchen...took off the loose plaster and just as I was ready to start building back up...had to take the ceiling down to re-do that as well
            Gaz

Comment

your so lucky ian!! it looks so much fun
              still it keeps you off the streets
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Thank god I'm not alone I've spent since Saturday 21st, working on the hall landing and stairs, I go back to work Wednesday, it won't be finished, but I'll be glad for the rest.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Hell, you definitely don't believe in doing things the easy way, do you Ian.

Comment

HeHE, If there's a hard way and an easy way guess which one i'll chose,
                    Missis'es eh! you cant live with em and it's against the law to shoot em

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                      so far i've only cut the slot for the tounge, i got to cut out another bit at the bottom so it sits on the bottom step return as well so it held from both sides, some dowells and big screws and it should be solid, dont want the old dutch leaning on it, snaping it and going for a burton (or do i)

Use the correct terminology please, 'Mortice and Tennon'
                      Don't forget to chop out the mortice for the handrail at the top of the post too before you fix the newel post in place.

Comment

and if your ,mortices are anything like mine, you can get wood glue that foams and takes up any slack in the joint.
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Mortice & tennon, right! i'll write that down, Whats the ones on the edge of boxes and drawer's called, is it dovetails? thats the only other one i know,
                          I got some fixing things for the handrail, they screw to the under side of the handrail and a threaded bit sticks through the newel post and it fixes with a nut and and there's a little wooden panel that glues over it to hide the nut,
                          any good?, i know there's no subtitute for a real well made joint but as i'm cr@p at it i thought i'd be safer with these,
                          Do you mean filler foam Charlie?

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                            Mortice & tennon, right! i'll write that down, Whats the ones on the edge of boxes and drawer's called, is it dovetails? thats the only other one i know,
                            I got some fixing things for the handrail, they screw to the under side of the handrail and a threaded bit sticks through the newel post and it fixes with a nut and and there's a little wooden panel that glues over it to hide the nut,
                            any good?, i know there's no subtitute for a real well made joint but as i'm cr@p at it i thought i'd be safer with these,
                            Do you mean filler foam Charlie?
                            there is a waterproof glue that as it sets it expands just like filler foam and it is bloomin good stuff.We used to use it on the chalets on a holiday site i used to work at when we replaced all the exterior timber but the stuff we used wasn't cheap but then that was nearly 10yrs ago
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

its not that foam cavity filler stuff(my carpentry isnt that bad! ) its proper wood glue. i get it from a toolhire place here.. i have some kicking about. do you want it?
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X