just cut down some trees-the root of the problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just cut down some trees-the root of the problem

we have just had a load of trees cut down from our new house(not nice ones) they have cut down to the ground and left the roots and stump,as it was going to be as much again to get rid of them.
    What can i put on them to help them rot quicker? or what else could or should i do?
    Cheers Ray
    Last edited by ssray; 27 October 2006, 20:24.

Originally posted by ssray
    we have just had a load of trees cut down from our new house(not nice ones) they have cut down to the ground and left the roots and stump,as it was going to be as much again to get rid of them.
    What can i put on them to help them rot quicker? or what else could or should i do?
    Cheers Ray
    plastic explosives
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

drill some biggish holes in them , to let the water stand. what sort of trees are they? if its willow, they will grow again unless you get a bit chemical on em. SBK mixed with old engine oil tiped in the holes will do it..
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Drill holes in the top of them to collect water and copper nails speed up the rotting process
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Drill loads of holes as deep as possible
          Fill the holes with water and then with a fertilser high in nitrogen.
          Gaz

Comment

They are conifer type-softwood i think. the dozy sod who was doing the chopping took the plum and damson trees first!!!!!.
            THEN the trees at the back fence that we wanted cut down to fence height he cut them down to the right height but cut all the branches off-now we have 12 8ft high stumps at the bottom of the garden
            Thanks for the tips
            Ray

Comment

Drill loads of holes as deep as possible. Fill the holes with water and strong bleach. I also know of someone who hired a JCB and driver for the morning and had the stumps ripped out by the roots!
              A bit drastic but saved an awful lot of manual digging.
              'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

if you still have those tall stumps on, leave em, thats a good height for putting a tow rope on and 'surfing them out'...(might need to dig round em a bit to avoid making a mess...)
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by ssray
                  They are conifer type-softwood i think. the dozy sod who was doing the chopping took the plum and damson trees first!!!!!.
                  THEN the trees at the back fence that we wanted cut down to fence height he cut them down to the right height but cut all the branches off-now we have 12 8ft high stumps at the bottom of the garden
                  Thanks for the tips
                  Ray
                  cheap fence posts!! ours (ex Lleylandii) lasted 15 yrs before they rotted
                  Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                  Tony

Comment

drill holes in he top and pour some some round-up in
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                      if you still have those tall stumps on, leave em, thats a good height for putting a tow rope on and 'surfing them out'...(might need to dig round em a bit to avoid making a mess...)
                      heehee was thinking along those lines
                      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

just spent a few hours pulling stumps out round the in laws - hi-lift jack and some chain is all you need
                        Bunkle
                        Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

I pulled 15 of my mates out with my truck - they were biggish - about 15' tall. low range reverse tow them out.
                          failing that drill holes and fill with bleach or copper pipe / nails.
                          Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

or if you can locate a scaffold pole that isn't doing much... plenty of leverage... and some elbow grease

Hi-lift'll do it nicely though...

Comment

Just hire a mini digger. Pull them all out. Plus you have the fun of playing with a mini digger. Fill the hole in, plant some flowers job done.
                              i like it muddy!

Comment

Working...
                              X