Body lift - who's done one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body lift - who's done one?

Possibly doing mine (2" Danno / Jotto kit) next weekend weather permitting. (Looking like being sunny so far Vince! )The write up on the site looks straight forward enough.

Are there any bits I need to watch out for? Cables / hoses going tight? Steering? Brakes?

I know the bit about the gearshift gate, but understand it isn't always an issue and varies from car to car.

I dont really want to get caught out because I need the truck on Monday.

Cheers folks!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

youll need to undo the steering column bolts on the spline.and i took my front bumper off completly makes life much easier,and i had to undo the hose clips on the fuel filler neck.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

How much of the splined section is slid out to get the extension? Is it just a little? That sounds a bit scary!

Comment

dont worry i had plenty left,it hardly moves,you may have to cut around the bottom of the steering column where it goes through the bulkhead,around the the rubber grommet.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
          dont worry i had plenty left,it hardly moves,you may have to cut around the bottom of the steering column where it goes through the bulkhead,around the the rubber grommet.
          How big's your bodylift?

Comment

i fitted 60mm spacers.i had to bend the handbrake cable bracket up also.
            Last edited by surfenstein; 25 October 2006, 17:01.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

10mm bigger than me then. Hopefully I'll get away without having to do anything too drastic.

So there's no hoses or cables that get tight?

Comment

just keep an eye on the handbrake cable.you should be ok.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Apache

I know the bit about the gearshift gate, but understand it isn't always an issue and varies from car to car.

I'm also considering a lift over the christmas hols, does the gearshift extension mod need to be done on auto models???
                  I've tried to look at danno's web site but i keep getting a bandwidth server type error!
                  Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

i would think so,i dont have a transfer box so it didnt have to be done on mine.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Lift the drivers side first . That then means the hi/lo selector will not need moding
                      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
                        I'm also considering a lift over the christmas hols, does the gearshift extension mod need to be done on auto models???
                        You shouldn't need to change any part of the gear linkage - it'll just lift with the body.

The transfer case shifter will almost definite need modifying - mine was very difficult to engage and that was after a 1 1/2'' lift.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/php_lib/v...at=3&submit=Go excellent article on this site

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/bodylift.htm
                        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Done one today, and one last week, and one next week!!!

Its all been said, but to recap some truck the fuel cap pipe needs loosening, other it doesn't, I unbolt the grommet from round the steering column to avoid ripping the grommet, slot the hole and bolt it back, best place to lengthen the column is the join under the dash, it has the longest splines and can't be seen easily.

Remove the bumper

Brake lines you can just uncurl the loops a little.

Take the lower shroud of the rad if you can, or loosen the rad first of the fan will get jammed on the shroud.

biggest hassle is the shifters, I've tried rebending them, but its lots of hassle, best off just enlarging the hole so the 4wd lever sits back properly. and check the auto shifter select all the gears properly. On manual trucks the rear of the hole needs opening out as lever hits the opening in 4th and the 4wd lever won't go into 4H properly.

Remember any bull bar or A-bar won't fit anymore, especially if it has upper mounts that go through the grill, you need to fab some brackets to mount it higher up.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The hi lo only needs a small bit removed from the transmission tunnel. None of them need extending. Again depends on vehicle, some do some dont.

Same with the steering column. Loosen the bolts and let it slide on the splines, only a fraction of movement tho.

The handbrake cable can get tight so keep an eye on it. None of the electrics are effected, fuel filler can get tight, so loosen it if you like. I didnt on my old '89 and it was ok.

Sorry the sites down, hit my bandwidth for the month! Must upgrade my account!
                            I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                              Remember any bull bar or A-bar won't fit anymore, especially if it has upper mounts that go through the grill, you need to fab some brackets to mount it higher up.

Unless you slot the lower valance for the bull bar upper brackets. Worked on mine anyway!

I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Working...
                              X