Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slick 50?

Is it any good in a Surf?
    Will I notice a difference in economy or performance?
    Your views will be welcome.

Originally posted by Saint Rich
    it has been reveiwed / questioned many times before.
    do a search for slick 50 or snake oil....some interesting reading.
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Rich
      Hello,

try this site - http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html

'Blue Corral, the manufacturers of the Slick 50 engine oil additive, have been banned by the Federal Trade Commission from making claims about reduced engine wear, increased fuel economy and lower running temperatures in it's advertising in America. The Federal Commission found the company's claims of increased performance and reduced wear were unsubstantiated, and Blue Corral has agreed to pay upwards of $20M in damages to affected customers.'
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

I've got Slick50 gearbox oil additive in my auto box and steering oil. Seems ok to me.

Comment

ive used slick 50 gearbox and engine treatment as well as wynns and to be honest didnt notice much difference with either (except wynns a third of the price lol) i used a lucas (usa)additive in my auto box few weeks ago got it off e bay for about £20 and it really did make a difference in the gearshifts and noise...
          DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

I wouldn't use it. For the life of me, the name of the anti friction stuff escapes
            me at the moment, but the flakes can cause various problems. Clogging of
            oilways, excess wear due to their size with regards to close tolerances,
            clogging of filters. Plus, it is a solid in suspension. It settles out.

Briggs and Stratton, (I believe), did a test several years ago to test its
            effectivety as their small engines seemed to be popular choices for sellers
            promoting the 'dry run' lubricating characteristics of the stuff. Apparently
            caused more wear than running without it. Also, DuPont, the creators of
            the original lubricant which is in these mixtures, did once try to stop it being
            used for the purpose as it was outside the scope of the intended use.

I use a mechanism lubricant that uses the same design for print carriages,
            and once the bottle is sat on the shelf, it separates and settles within a few
            hours. It needs a devilishly good shake to mix it again. Imagine that
            happening in your oil/transfer sump!

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              I wouldn't use it. For the life of me, the name of the anti friction stuff escapes
              me at the moment, but the flakes can cause various problems. Clogging of
              oilways, excess wear due to their size with regards to close tolerances,
              clogging of filters. Plus, it is a solid in suspension. It settles out.

Briggs and Stratton, (I believe), did a test several years ago to test its
              effectivety as their small engines seemed to be popular choices for sellers
              promoting the 'dry run' lubricating characteristics of the stuff. Apparently
              caused more wear than running without it. Also, DuPont, the creators of
              the original lubricant which is in these mixtures, did once try to stop it being
              used for the purpose as it was outside the scope of the intended use.

I use a mechanism lubricant that uses the same design for print carriages,
              and once the bottle is sat on the shelf, it separates and settles within a few
              hours. It needs a devilishly good shake to mix it again. Imagine that
              happening in your oil/transfer sump!
              P.T.F.E. ?? And yes I've also heard it can clog oilways etc.
              Can't beat good ol' fashioned regular oil changes

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                me at the moment,
                It's Teflon, isn't it??
                It just does, OK?

Comment

I don't see any point in putting an anti-friction additive to prevent engine wear into a 12 year old + engine.

If added when engine was brand, spanking, shiney two miles old, then yes, it may help preserve the internal components.

Comment

Perhaps Molyslip would be a better option if you want to try an additive. I've used Moly in some of my classics &, at least as far as the gearboxes are concerned, it's made a real difference with sweeter changes & less transmission whine. I've also used it in engines too but I probably don't run them enough to notice any long term benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      I don't see any point in putting an anti-friction additive to prevent engine wear into a 12 year old + engine.

If added when engine was brand, spanking, shiney two miles old, then yes, it may help preserve the internal components.
                      they do use it in japan but it called SRICK 50
                      DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                        It's Teflon, isn't it??
                        PolyTetraFluoroEthelene. I used to sell Slick50 many years ago and still use it.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                        X