Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• £6500 To Play With

Hi Chaps,
    i am new so be gentle with me!!...i am looking now for a new 4x4 to replace my 94 plate Frontera(i can hear your giggles) its been nothing but a P.I.A for the last 4 years and has had more jumps than Hugh Hefner, so i was seriously looking at a L200 as a replacement, so the other day i had another problem with the fronty and had to get an auto electrician out to it to resolve some poltergeist activity with it...wipers comming on/off, radio turning itself on and then off ect and the chap arrived in a blue over silver ssrx 3.0 3rd gen and i the rest is history i was in love (with the motor not the auto electrician ) so i have got £6500 to play with and i have spotted one which i really like, so what do i need to look for or ask about before buying it, also there are threads on here talking about replacing the rad cap, thermostat ect, are these prerequisites before buying or is it a case of if it happens fix it.

heres the link to the motor i am intrested in http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...00640252656611

All advice welcome...good or bad

A very smart truck, but it is one of the first 3rd gen Surfs being an 'N' reg and maybe a little over priced.

You could get an 'R' reg for that money.

Comment

Cheers fella....where would i view such a veichle????
      Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      A very smart truck, but it is one of the first 3rd gen Surfs being an 'N' reg and maybe a little over priced.

You could get an 'R' reg for that money.

Comment

Hello my new Surf buddy.

Surfs are fantastic vehicles. There are lots of opinions as to which model to buy. Some say the 2nd Gen like mine, some say the 3rd Gen. Nearly all say a 3.0lt.

With that money you can buy a really good 2nd gen 3.0lt and have money left over for insurance, decent stereo, and some new rubber. Or you can buy a 3rd gen for that money with not much change.

I will say go for the 3.0lt, as the 2.4s have problems with the heads cracking which can be very costly. It doesn't happen to all of them, but happens to a damn site more than the 3.0lts.

The 2nd gen is a "real" truck based on the pick up chassis, has nicer bumpers and dash etc. The 3rd gen is more of an SUV with a different chassis, coil springs on the front, ABS etc.

DO NOT buy the first one you look at. Do lots of research and look at lots of different dealers. I bought mine fresh from Japan and it is in mint condition. Shop around and try to get one that has just been imported, as they are usually in mint condition as they haven't had any salty winters.

Yes, the radiators aren't the best. Check the top of the rad for hairline cracks. I had to buy a new one for mine from Toyota at a cost of over £300. I saw plenty of cracked rads when i was searching for mine.

Have a look at the for sale section on the forum as there are some very nice trucks for sale on here.

Here are some dealers worth a look.

http://www.japanesecarimporters.com/

http://www.fourtrackcars.com/

http://www.algysautos.com/Pajero_LWB.html

Good luck. Remember. Blue is the fastest colour.

Comment

Originally posted by RAPTOR
          The cheapest 3rd gens (95) are about £4,500. The most expensive (01) are about £12,000. So you're looking at about:

95 £4500
          96 £5750
          97 £7000
          98 £8250
          99 £9500
          00 £10750
          01 £12000

Stick about £500 on for an intercooler and another £500 for stuff like big fruity spoilers, recaro seats etc.

By the way, the first bit (the maximum and minimum values) is based on what seems to sell. The rest I just made up so don't pay too much attention to it.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
            Good luck. Remember. Blue is the fastest colour.
            And grey is the best.

I wonder if this will ever get boring....

Comment

All advice welcome...good or bad
              Hello,

Don't bother with a Surf - buy a Paj instead - they're much better LMAO

Only joking!

Follow M35's advice - I've had mine nearly 4 years and still loving it.
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Contact a Japanese import dealer, for a fresh imported truck, you can save ££££s

Comment

If you had a Frontera before, just buy any old sh!t and it will be a marked improvement.

Comment

Nice one boys,

i must admit i do like the blue, i am looking for the SSRG model either 96/97 so i will keep on looking...its out there waiting for me!!!

KEEP THE ADVICE COMMING!!1

Comment

Take a trip down to Southampton docks and grab one off the ferry!

http://www.a1carauctions.co.uk/curre...LUX+SURF+SSR-X

If you buy one this way, make sure you add on about £200 to register, tax and SVA it.

Comment

Nice one boys,

i must admit i do like the blue, i am looking for the SSRG model either 96/97 so i will keep on looking...its out there waiting for me!!!

KEEP THE ADVICE COMMING!!1

Try Algy's. They ONLY import SSRG models, and he has some Blue ones on the site right now.

Here is my BLUE (the fastest) SSRG 2nd Gen.

Comment

Try Algy's. They ONLY import SSRG models, and he has some Blue ones on the site right now.

Here is my BLUE (the fastest) SSRG 2nd Gen.

Any excuse to show-off Andy!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            Any excuse to show-off Andy!

Well you could always show me up by showing your bad boy Vince!!!!

Comment

Well you could always show me up by showing your bad boy Vince!!!!

Oh no, not me. I'm not entering the my trucks the best colour and cleaner than yours war!!

hehehe!!

Comment

Working...
                              X