fuel economy update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel economy update

since i fitted the heated fuelcat i have been monitoring my mpg and here are the results if you are interested
    at a constant 70 in cruise 25.5 to 25.9 on a run my previous was 22.5 ish
    thrashing it (obviously on a private air strip lol) using the power button and generally not giving a fcuk just under 20 when i drove like this before i would get around 17
    i go to work for 30 miles on motorway and about 2 miles on a roads and with a mixture of driving (mad & steady 70) will get 22 but if im late and thrashing it at 90 i get just under 20 again
    when i have put 75% svo in i get a drop of around 0.5 mpg when i once put 55 ltrs in and 5 ltrs of derv i got the same drop but under 25% svo i dont get a noticable difference
    it seems on my car that its the way i drive on the motorway ie speed that makes all the difference apart from the fuelcat that does actually give me around 10% extra
    these are the results make of them what you will

edited just to say. . .
    ive changed from 28psi in the tyres to 34 psi to stop the wobble while on the motorway
    i did this last week but am i right in thinking this won't alter the mpg by any significant amount?
    and yes the car seems a lot more stable if a little more hard
    Last edited by shaggy; 20 October 2006, 01:55. Reason: forgot to put something in lol
    at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Interesting. It's worth it then if you commute a lot in the Surf.

Incidently, the most fuel efficient/economical speed is 56mph, before aerodynamics and drag and all that malarkey comes into play, so if you drive at that speed every day and have a fuel cat fitted the savings would be brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Interesting. It's worth it then if you commute a lot in the Surf.

Incidently, the most fuel efficient/economical speed is 56mph, before aerodynamics and drag and all that malarkey comes into play, so if you drive at that speed every day and have a fuel cat fitted the savings would be brilliant!
      i drive an artic that does 56mph and believe me in a surf that speed is a nightmare its like your not moving

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy
        i drive an artic that does 56mph and believe me in a surf that speed is a nightmare its like your not moving
        Tell me about it. I was doing 60MPH with the caravan on the back yesterday and all these artics, that are restricted to 56MPH, kept whizzing past. I felt like I was standing still. Most were UK registered too! It only used to be the continental and Irish registered ones.

I'll get my coat.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

That will explain why i only got just over 200miles to the last tank....
          Maybe the surf should not keep up with cars doin 95.......

>thinks foot off accelerator<

Stu
          http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

My truck seems to go all over the place with fuel figures. I fill my tank to the brim every week using diesel only. Last week from full to the brim to the quarter mark on the fuel gauge it did 400Kms dead on. This is travelling from Didcot to Thatcham using very windey country roads from Didcot to the A34. Then 80mph on the A34 to the Beedon turnoff, a mixture of between 40-70 to coldash, then 40mph all the way in to Thatcham. The when I refueled it I put a bottle of 4 tank treatment diesel redex in to clean the injectors and this time I only got 356Kms for the same amount of traveling. It seems to use more when using a fuel injector cleaner.

I filled it up yesterday and went to visit my parents in Milton Keynes. I will see what she does this week after a long run included in the commute to work and let you know. This is the next fill after the cleaner on straight diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
              My truck seems to go all over the place with fuel figures. I fill my tank to the brim every week using diesel only. Last week from full to the brim to the quarter mark on the fuel gauge it did 400Kms dead on. This is travelling from Didcot to Thatcham using very windey country roads from Didcot to the A34. Then 80mph on the A34 to the Beedon turnoff, a mixture of between 40-70 to coldash, then 40mph all the way in to Thatcham. The when I refueled it I put a bottle of 4 tank treatment diesel redex in to clean the injectors and this time I only got 356Kms for the same amount of traveling. It seems to use more when using a fuel injector cleaner.

I filled it up yesterday and went to visit my parents in Milton Keynes. I will see what she does this week after a long run included in the commute to work and let you know. This is the next fill after the cleaner on straight diesel.

You probably did the exact same mileage. The Surf fuel gauge isn't that accurate and 44kms may not have moved the gauge needle very far. Your injectors must be performing in tip top condition.
              Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 20 October 2006, 14:46.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2

OOH!!... you must come right past my house!... (kinda cold ash / henwick)
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst
                  That will explain why i only got just over 200miles to the last tank....
                  Maybe the surf should not keep up with cars doin 95.......

>thinks foot off accelerator<

Stu
                  just the extra 10mph on the motorway seems to kill my fuel figures
                  to be honest 70 seems a bit slow nowadays lol lol

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                    OOH!!... you must come right past my house!... (kinda cold ash / henwick)

Never seen your truck in Cold Ash Sluggsie.

I go past the Royal Engineers barracks turn right at the mini rounderbout, then left over the little bridge, up the hill, then along the top of Cold Ash past the school etc, down the hill then left at rounderbout and into Thatcham. Where do you live then??

Comment

Working...
                    X