Converting underslung spare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting underslung spare

Does anyone know if it`s possible convert my underslung spare to a rear mounted one (2nd gen)?

Cheers

Darran

Originally posted by Monk67
    Does anyone know if it`s possible convert my underslung spare to a rear mounted one (2nd gen)?

Cheers

Darran
    Yes it is possible, you will need to put strengthening plates in the rear pillar to support the carrier, change the rear lights, move the no plate, and change the old reverse light no plate unit for the catch system for locking the carrier shut, plus on the rear slung carrier type a lot have a switch which opperates a light on the dash to tell you that the spare wheel carrier isn't locked into position, but not all have this
    Last edited by Wild Thing; 18 October 2006, 19:01.
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Gary, is that all written in one long sentence to get the idea across that it is possible, but is a total pain in the arse, perchance?

What about just bolting an empty plastic cover on the back? It would look the same but without all that work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
        Gary, is that all written in one long sentence to get the idea across that it is possible, but is a total pain in the arse, perchance?

What about just bolting an empty plastic cover on the back? It would look the same but without all that work.
        Sounds like a good option, like it lol

Comment

I wuz looking to do the same thing but it all seems a load of work for not much gain, I know, try changing an underslung spare at 11.oo at night in the pouring rain! (isn't that what the RAC are for??)

Comment

Originally posted by warbird
            I wuz looking to do the same thing but it all seems a load of work for not much gain, I know, try changing an underslung spare at 11.oo at night in the pouring rain! (isn't that what the RAC are for??)
            I think the issue is more to do with fitting towbars and being out of the way and easy to get at when offroading

Comment

Recent conversation

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26822

regards
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Yup, the reason for moving the spare is down to it preventing me fitting the crossmember of the towbar.

Comment

Oh Nuts, i got thre same tow bar as you so i'm going to have the same probs,
                  i thought someone fitted this bar that had an underslung? i want a rear mounted eventually cos i like the look but cant afford it yet
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                    Oh Nuts, i got thre same tow bar as you so i'm going to have the same probs,
                    i thought someone fitted this bar that had an underslung? i want a rear mounted eventually cos i like the look but cant afford it yet
                    There was someone posted a reply earlier saying he`d fitted his, but was very tight, I`m gonna keep the spare in the car, i`ll have to make some kind of frame and cover for it though.

Comment

I had mine in the back for ages, it was a bl00dy pain keep takeing it out to get something else in, only took it off to underseal and then did'nt do that either (yet) I thought of makeing a rear carrier that fixes to the tow bar but aint worked that one out yet,
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by Monk67
                        Yup, the reason for moving the spare is down to it preventing me fitting the crossmember of the towbar.
                        Ehhh? I got a towbar and a 33" x 12.5" mud terrain tyre tucked in under there!

Mind you...a 2" body lift helps hide the tyre!
                        Last edited by laser_jock99; 18 October 2006, 23:53.

Comment

search is a wonderful thing... I am sure Bundubasher asked for this a while back...

Comment

Working...
                          X