kind of a big problem dont ya think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kind of a big problem dont ya think?

so i pick my hilux up from the havin my rad reconditoned to a hi flo rad and also havin my steerin looked at as it made a whining noise.... so i take it home with plans of 4x4in the next day i get home = and the next day i go out off roadin and i take a few friends with me (my winch hasnt been installed yet and who knows i may need a push out ) and it goes great we hit the trails help pull some other ford out of a puddle and we put her thru a hell of a trip but nearin the end i start noticing slak in the steerin and i grow a bit worried i take us up to the dirt road where the trails start to have a look on my way there my steerin goes out completely which would make forr a bad trip home i think so i start lookin at the steerin only to find that one of the 2 things has loosened completely see the pic i have provided to know what things i am talkin about so now i am thinkin iam incredibly screwed i mean i brought tools but i didnt have this bolt that fell off some where in the trail but luckily the guy i helped pull out drives up behind us and tells us he is a mechanic for a livin maybe he could help since we helped him and he looks and decides that the bolt on my turbo cover is unnesscary and the size we need so we take it off and put it on and it gets us home
    but my problem is that it keeps loosening itself off and my steerin wheel starts to rattle and sshakke and the slak starts comin back so is there some sort of aftermarket shaft avaible to stop this problem or would i have to find a stronger one that would fit say off another vehicle and do some cutom riggin to get it to work or is it just some silly problem with a simple solution

I'd renew the bolt and put nylon lock nuts on , this should stop the vibration shaking it loose.
    www.puppywalker.co.uk

Comment

thanks ill try that out see if it werks we did put some loctite on there but it was only a band aid so i will try that out ill spend today lookin for one

Comment

Best Thing To Do Is Visit Toyota And Buy The Correct Parts. Automotive Spec Bolts Are Commonly Subjected To Special Treatments And Coatings. (i Sell Them For A Living)

Steering Bolts In This AREA ARE Probably Grade 10.9 With Cr6 And Yellow Passivation Applied.

This Is Not An Area To Take ChanCes With.
        Last edited by phoebelala; 11 October 2006, 18:13.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

lol okay i will give the local dealer a call see what they got

Comment

Dude, use some fawking punctuation!!!! nearly gave up reading it.

To your problem, I wouldn't drive the truck down the drive let along on the road with that set up!! The long bolts/sleeve are what some fool has put in to allow for a body lift.

You need to cut and sleeve the upper part of the steering shaft to make it longer so you can get rid of the long bolts and put the proper ones back, all 4bolts in the doughnut should be the same.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Dude, use some fawking punctuation!!!! neally gave up reading it.

i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

HeHe yeah, i found it hard goin, that looks incredibly dangerious, Did you get the truck with that already done? talk about bodgers, thats criminal and could have been leathal
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

As the boys say- that's not how it left the Toyota factory- some bodger has extended the steering column to allow for a body lift or something.

I have a spare steering column extender like this one:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...eringExtension

if you want to make me an offer?

(Is my punctuation okay Tony?)

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Dude, use some fawking punctuation!!!! neally gave up reading it.

To your problem, I wouldn't drive the truck down the drive let along on the road with that set up!! The long bolts/sleeve are what some fool has put in to allow for a body lift.

You need to cut and sleeve the upper part of the steering shaft to make it longer so you can get rid of the long bolts and put the proper ones back, all 4bolts in the doughnut should be the same.

kay i will work on the puncuation .

wow yeah that is how i got it in mid july ,and thats how it supposedly came from japan . so i guess that would be why my steering is acting up so much . at first i didnt think it looked rite but i just shrugged it ofgf cause it seemed to work but ever since i last went 4x4in it has gotten worse .
                    i guess i will have to find one of those steering shaft extender over here but i havent got a clue how much of a lift ive got

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                      (Is my punctuation okay Tony?)
                      Better than my spelling!!
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                      X