rear slung spare wheel carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear slung spare wheel carrier

can anone tell me if its possible to fit the rear slung spare wheel carrier,(tail gate) onto an early gen 2 with an underslung carrier fitted.
    www.overfab.uk

Yup, it's possible. However you need to re-inforce the inside of the rear quarter panel to take the extra weight. You'll also need to change the lights clusters, and fit the new number plate holder. That's in addition to getting hold of the carrier etc. Plus wiring for the 'carrier open' warning lamp. etc etc.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
      Yup, it's possible. However you need to re-inforce the inside of the rear quarter panel to take the extra weight. You'll also need to change the lights clusters, and fit the new number plate holder. That's in addition to getting hold of the carrier etc. Plus wiring for the 'carrier open' warning lamp. etc etc.
      I've seen rear slung style tailgates for sale on eBay. The underslung style tailgate is totally different.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

ChilliTT done it ask him, thats wot i want to do as well when i can afford it.
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

nice one guys ill have a chat with chillit and take a browse on ebay.slugsie do you know how much strenghening needs to be done.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
            nice one guys ill have a chat with chillit and take a browse on ebay.slugsie do you know how much strenghening needs to be done.
            Unfortunately not, I'm just going by information posted in similar threads here before. Basically however, you need to have an additional plate behind the wing that the bracket bolts through.

Your best bet is to either speak to someone who's done the job, or get a Surf round that has a rear carrier for a few hours, and dismantle it.

You can convert a non carrier rear tailgate to a carrier rear tailgate. You replace the current numbeplate/reversing light bit with the carrier locking mechanism. I think you probably then just have to drill and bolt the new numberplate thingy on the left of the tailgate.
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

done that! easier than changing the lights(and cheaper..) its put a worklight on top of the number plate light holder and use that. the tailgate is basically the same, but it has a bit lump of plastic filling in the recess when the no. plate is. easier to get an entire tailgate. on the trucks that are supposed to have a wheel carrier theres an extra reinforcing plate inside the panel, but its not that strong and i'm sure a man of your calibre can knock something up... there is no wheel carrier warning light on 2nd gens. that'll do for a start..
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                done that! easier than changing the lights(and cheaper..) its put a worklight on top of the number plate light holder and use that. the tailgate is basically the same, but it has a bit lump of plastic filling in the recess when the no. plate is. easier to get an entire tailgate. on the trucks that are supposed to have a wheel carrier theres an extra reinforcing plate inside the panel, but its not that strong and i'm sure a man of your calibre can knock something up... there is no wheel carrier warning light on 2nd gens. that'll do for a start..
                They do have a spare wheel carrier warning light (mine does )
                If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by gary16163
                  They do have a spare wheel carrier warning light (mine does )
                  mine does as well
                  Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

thanks chillit and slugsie that a great help for starters.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

well mine hasn't.
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

well mine hasn't.

Nor mine!

Comment

Perhaps that's because yours ain't a genuine original rear slung spare model, possibly, n'es pas ?????
                          Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                            Perhaps that's because yours ain't a genuine original rear slung spare model, possibly, n'es pas ?????

Is Poirot on??

Comment

pertetre... but i do have a proper tailgate and a proper wheel carrier, but theres nowhere for the switch... i'll probably manage without it..
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X