What next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What next?

When Tony's serviced / MOT'd the truck next week, I need to think about what to do next.

A couple of longer shocks for the rear so I dont shake the back end to bits every time the shocks extend after a bump is first on the list.

What then?

1) I like the look of the rock sliders Vatchman's made. Fancy something like that.

2) I might get meself a single roof bar for a brace of roof mounted spots.

3) I'm still aiming to get a bodylift done. I believe this isn't always straightforward though. 2" seems to be common, do I have to do anything with the steering column / gearshifts for 2"?

What kind of money am I looking at for a lift such as this?

What price 'sidestep mount' fitted rock sliders? I'm after the cool look rather than something I'm likely to bounce of rocks. Thats a bit extreme for me!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Originally posted by Apache
    When Tony's serviced / MOT'd the truck next week, I need to think about what to do next.

A couple of longer shocks for the rear so I dont shake the back end to bits every time the shocks extend after a bump is first on the list.

What then?

1) I like the look of the rock sliders Vatchman's made. Fancy something like that.

2) I might get meself a single roof bar for a brace of roof mounted spots.

3) I'm still aiming to get a bodylift done. I believe this isn't always straightforward though. 2" seems to be common, do I have to do anything with the steering column / gearshifts for 2"?

What kind of money am I looking at for a lift such as this?

What price 'sidestep mount' fitted rock sliders? I'm after the cool look rather than something I'm likely to bounce of rocks. Thats a bit extreme for me!
    talk to Danno about the 2"body lift everything included.I think the only thing you will have to do to the bodywork and that is totake the centre consol out and the gaiters around the gear levers and just make the hole a bit bigger for the levers to go all the way forward and back but you probably wont know until you have fitted the lift kit.
    I have the 2" bodylift kit yet to be fitted i got it from Danno.Hope this is of some help
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Would like something like this, but about the length of the original Toyota running boards, and fitted to the original mounts. Kind of like what Vatchman's done, but bigger tube and chromed. Is this doable by anyone here?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WRANGLER-JEEP-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

The 2" body lift is £85 which includes postage, i would go for that. There is a step by step instructions on his website on how to do it doesnt look to bad to do if your ok with a spanner.

I want the kit myself i just havent got round to ordering one, Safari snorkel is a must aswell

Comment

you would have to elongate the steering column gaiter hole on the 2" body lift to.as for the rock sliders.i would get hold of two lenghts of 2.5" s/s tube and weld pre fabricated bends to the tube. then weld that to the step brackets.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
            you would have to elongate the steering column gaiter hole on the 2" body lift to.as for the rock sliders.i would get hold of two lenghts of 2.5" s/s tube and weld pre fabricated bends to the tube. then weld that to the step brackets.
            So you left the original step brackets on the car and welded the tube to that? I dont much about welding (ie nothing!) but can you weld stainless to mild ok?

Comment

yes you can weld stainless to mild steel.just cut the brackets off where they mount onto the bar that goes along the bottom of the step.then weld the new piece to the cut off brackets.hey presto .its easier to get pre fabricated bends to weld to the tube ,that way you dont have to worry about creasing the tube.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Can you point me to a supplier of stainless tube of suitable thickness? I'm assuming that stainless exhaust tube is too thin?

Comment

yes exhaust tube would be a bit thin.try here http://www.aalco.co.uk/. if you know anyone that can get hold of an r.s components catalogue.they do it .
                  Last edited by surfenstein; 8 October 2006, 22:00.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

Gahhh... chinese to me!

What wall thickness would you suggest? We use RS in work, I'll check it out.

Comment

Gahhh... chinese to me!

What wall thickness would you suggest? We use RS in work, I'll check it out.
                      ok.if you look in the mechanical book of rs.book three (orange) under the heading of tubing.you will see they do food grade stainless steel tubing normally used for dairy trade.you will also find the bends on this page to.its not cheap mind you,but stainless never was.the size will be in o/d not i/d
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Tis pricey isn't it!?

Maybe I'll go for mild steel painted black...

Comment

Tis pricey isn't it!?

Maybe I'll go for mild steel painted black...

Satin black I hope!

What about some aluminium tube? should be some lying around an air base somewhere!

Comment

Working...
                          X