Head gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gone

It's confirmed. The head's gone on my truck. After new radiator, timing belt, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, oil change, coolant change, it started cooking again after a few miles. Engine pressure low too.

I need to either get a new engine/head or s$$$$ the truck. Would like to get one of stevo's rebuilds but unfortunately cannot afford it. Any suggestions where else I can try?

Awwwwwwwwwwww

Sorry to hear about your truck why dont you give stevo a ring anyway he is a very nice man and im sure he will be able to work something out with you to get you sorted its worth talking to him before taking any drastic steps

Maurice

Comment

Sorry to hear about your woe's, mine went last month. Managed to get a replacement head (& radiator & water pump) from these guy's through Ebay:-

Item number 290035784410

But if you do a search on Ebay for 'Surf Cylinder Head' it does call up a number options. I had mine delivered direct to my mechanic who fitted it and got my truck back up and running. Touchwood so far its been fine.

Hope you get yours sorted soon.
      Last edited by Doc Martin; 5 October 2006, 16:15. Reason: Rad & pump added
      Got an itch, might need to scratch it soon.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Surf-di...QQcmdZViewItem

I've found a couple of modified heads on ebay (links above). I spoke to the guy who seems to know what he's talking about regarding the head problems on the surfs and says he's been selling them for a while. Said they had extra holes or something in (too technical for me). The price seems okay too. What do you guys reckon? I'd rather get the expert advice off you guys before I buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretmanabu

I've found a couple of modified heads on ebay (links above). I spoke to the guy who seems to know what he's talking about regarding the head problems on the surfs and says he's been selling them for a while. Said they had extra holes or something in (too technical for me). The price seems okay too. What do you guys reckon? I'd rather get the expert advice off you guys before I buy it.
          I got a head off this guy for my 2.4, he was very helpful and delivered it next day.
          But I have to say that within 6 weeks, I had the same overheating problem back again, dont know if it was a problem with the head or something else, I had also changed the rad, water pump, stat, rad cap, all belts, at this point I got so dispondent that I swapped it in for a 3.0L
          If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Personally,

If the head went on my Truck I would contact Stevo at the engine co Ltd.

Trev
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Ideally, I'd like to get one off stevo too as I've read all the good stuff in previous posts. However, I can't afford the prices he has on his website. Anyone else tried the ebay links? I'm a bit concerned that someone has bought and had the same probs within six weeks. He does give a six month warranty too.

Comment

I dont think I want to risk it buying the head off ebay as the of the two people who have reported on this thread so far, one has only had it in for a month and the other had problems within six weeks again!

Is there much difference between the roughtrax ones and the ones stevo sells? It costs about six hundred quid for the roughtrax ones plus i'll have to pay labour.

I'm not sure whether I can justify paying that sort of cash for a truck which only cost me 2000 in the first place! I might consider s$$$$ping it.

Any advice?

Comment

Is there much difference between the roughtrax ones and the ones stevo sells? It costs about six hundred quid for the roughtrax ones plus i'll have to pay labour.

Any advice?
                  There is very little difference in price if you look closer, Stevo's COMPLETE head kit is £799 all in, he sell's just head only for £585 +vat and delivery, where as Roughtrax is £560 +vat and delivery.

You will still need head bolts, head gasket, head gasket set, cam belt, etc... unless you by Stevo's complete head kit which has it all, hense the higher price.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

sell it in bits on ebay mate - go treat yourself to a 3.0 in BLUE the best colour.

Comment

I've made the decision to get rid of the truck. I can't justify spending 1100 pounds on a k reg truck. I'm gonna sell it with the blown head for what I can, if I can find a buyer who's willing to buy so that he can replace the head.

Not sure what my next vehicle will be. I was thinking of a little Mitsubishi shogun SWB. Might get more fuel economy out of it too. Don't know if I really want to buy a surf again.

Comment

On second thoughts, I haven't got the heart to sell the old beast. Going to try and get it repaired. I've been driving a "normal" car for a couple of weeks and it just don't feel right.

Need to find a head on the cheap somehow, if not I'll have to wait til i've got enough saved up to buy one off stevo. Not too keen on buying the ebay ones.

Comment

On second thoughts, I haven't got the heart to sell the old beast. Going to try and get it repaired. I've been driving a "normal" car for a couple of weeks and it just don't feel right.

Need to find a head on the cheap somehow, if not I'll have to wait til i've got enough saved up to buy one off stevo. Not too keen on buying the ebay ones.

Once the head is replaced, then you'll have no more worries regarding huge repair bills. The only other bills will be for minor things.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            Once the head is replaced, then you'll have no more worries regarding huge repair bills. The only other bills will be for minor things.

That's what i figured. I love my surf too much. Two weeks driving a carina e has made me realise that. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Comment

Working...
                            X