mans hooters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mans hooters!

well i've finally done it - by far the best mod i've done!!
    I bought some truck air horns months ago andhave since been...ahem..acquiring all the bits needed to fit them.
    an old empty 9KG powder extinguisher serves as an air receiver bolted under the rear chassis. lots of plastic 8mm pipe and an old pnuematic E stop button donated by my employer. I had to mount the horns to the inside of the belly guard - just behind the radiator.
    I've fitted a t piece in the air line under the bonnet with a quick-con connector for refilling and have modified a tyre schrader valve to fit the connector so my tank can be refilled from a garage forcourt tyre inflator when i'm not near my workshop compressor.
    took about an hour to fit up. the extinguisher takes enough air to give a good 30-40 seconds blast but could be a lot longer if i fitted a regulator. the horns need about 3 bar to work and my tank is charged to about 8 bar.
    these are LOUD.
    also fitted a combi boiler heat exchanger to my fuel line to help my veggie now it's getting colder again. - heats the veg to around 70'c in a matter of minutes.
    So next job is to find an old aircon pump to have independant on board air, and a 12v solenoid air valve so I can have the air horns working from original horn push..
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Originally posted by jaky cakes
    well i've finally done it - by far the best mod i've done!!
    I bought some truck air horns months ago andhave since been...ahem..acquiring all the bits needed to fit them.
    an old empty 9KG powder extinguisher serves as an air receiver bolted under the rear chassis. lots of plastic 8mm pipe and an old pnuematic E stop button donated by my employer. I had to mount the horns to the inside of the belly guard - just behind the radiator.
    I've fitted a t piece in the air line under the bonnet with a quick-con connector for refilling and have modified a tyre schrader valve to fit the connector so my tank can be refilled from a garage forcourt tyre inflator when i'm not near my workshop compressor.
    took about an hour to fit up. the extinguisher takes enough air to give a good 30-40 seconds blast but could be a lot longer if i fitted a regulator. the horns need about 3 bar to work and my tank is charged to about 8 bar.
    these are LOUD.
    also fitted a combi boiler heat exchanger to my fuel line to help my veggie now it's getting colder again. - heats the veg to around 70'c in a matter of minutes.
    So next job is to find an old aircon pump to have independant on board air, and a 12v solenoid air valve so I can have the air horns working from original horn push..
    very nice.i am hoping to get hold of a set of horns off of a train they look as if they are polished alloy and are quite big but i may be able to get hold of 2 sets and then get a set connected up
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Excellent work!
      When I saw the first pic I though you had air brakes!!

Comment

why not get a cheap 12v tyre inflator and a pressure switch... rig it up to keep the tank topped up!...
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I have considered this route but i don't think them units pump a high enough pressure??

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
            I have considered this route but i don't think them units pump a high enough pressure??
            I'm going to try one of these before I refit my aircon compressor - quite cheap

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-tyre-i...ayphotohosting

250 psi is good - just a small flow rate ie slow but not a problem with a receiver.
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

good stuff.. now to find a level crossing and scare the living bejesus out of some pedestrians...
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Just found this

http://www.hornblasters.com/

check out the videos section - hilarious

especially jesus saves
                Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 4 October 2006, 23:32.
                Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

hehehe!! http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...4954189&q=horn

Comment

nice vid now that a horn

Comment

<Ozzy>

"You're all f***in maaaaad!!!"

</Ozzy>

Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
                        nice vid now that a horn
                        I'll second that "gotta get me one of them"
                        If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

got to be LOUD and proud lol

Comment

heehee
                            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                              I'm going to try one of these before I refit my aircon compressor - quite cheap

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-tyre-i...ayphotohosting

250 psi is good - just a small flow rate ie slow but not a problem with a receiver.
                              would you let me know how you get on with this - maybe a better option!

Comment

Working...
                              X