No announcement yet.

Toyota MR2 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bootspace? Depends if you have your ethanol / water tank and big electric pump in there though...
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts
      .........Sorry to go on, just love jap sportscars,Mart

Me too!

Toyota sports car trivia question..........

Which Toyota sports car had a joint Toyota/Yamaha engine fitted?

Comment

Dunno, but this is my ultimate Toyota 'sports car'

Comment

One of these for me......Toyota 2000GT
          (Which is also the answer to my question)

Comment

I hasten to add my love and knowledge of japanese sportscars only extends back as far as the late eighty's!!! I was only born in 82!!

Mart
            Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

I was only 5 when the GT2000 came out in '67.

There was a white convertable GT2000 used in the 007 film 'You only live twice'

Comment

I reckon the kit-car companies are missing a trick really. There's loads of mechanically good Mk1s around with rusting arches / sunroofs. I reckon a GpB replica kit to bolt onto a Mk1 with perhaps the 20v Supercharged engine from the import Corolla GT would go down a storm.

I'd have one!

Comment

We've had 3 Mk1's & currently still have a MK2 Turbo, both models are great cars in their own way. If money was no object along with garage space I'd have to have at least 1 of each in there. Also that Veranti looks amazing, wish I'd seen that before I started to build the current kitcar, not that I could have afforded it. Shame it hasn't got pop-up headlights though, all REAL sports cars should have pop-up headlights.

This is Gerty's current runaround

MR2 MK2 Turbo

Comment

I always thought the mk 1 was the better balanced than the mk 2 as the engine is slightly forward of the rear driveline . In the mk2 it is over the top of the driveline and slightly further back so a little bit more prone to spin! Although they both do quite easily!

Mk 1 supercharged is my personal favourite, could be tempted with a good one!

BTW Vince there was one other car with a Yamaha engine, it was a very rare mk 2 celica gt DOHC built by Yamaha, i only ever saw one new in 1981! I didnt like the style of the mk 2's at the time but it drove well!

Cheers Neil
                    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Originally posted by europa88
                      I always thought the mk 1 was the better balanced than the mk 2 as the engine is slightly forward of the rear driveline . In the mk2 it is over the top of the driveline and slightly further back so a little bit more prone to spin! Although they both do quite easily!

Mk 1 supercharged is my personal favourite, could be tempted with a good one!

BTW Vince there was one other car with a Yamaha engine, it was a very rare mk 2 celica gt DOHC built by Yamaha, i only ever saw one new in 1981! I didnt like the style of the mk 2's at the time but it drove well!

Cheers Neil
                      The car journos of way back reckoned the Mk1 NA was a better balanced car than the supercharged version, though if I could find a supercharged one, I'd snap it up! The Mk1 was a superb handling car, but perhaps wanting a bit on power thought the 1600 16v was a cracker.

I still reckon the 1600 20v with a supercharger HAS to be the way to go in a Mk1. There's no drooling smiley is there...?

Comment

When I sold my Mk1 I took it for one last spin round the local lanes. Had to leave the windows open to get rid of the smell of hot brakes and burning rubber though before prospective buyers came round. It really was a car that rewarded being driven bl00dy hard with a BIG smile!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                          When I sold my Mk1 I took it for one last spin round the local lanes. Had to leave the windows open to get rid of the smell of hot brakes and burning rubber though before prospective buyers came round. It really was a car that rewarded being driven bl00dy hard with a BIG smile!

Yeah
                          I loved the mk 1! First encounter was in 1985 on the dealer launch. Toyota hired Donnington race track international circuit in the middle of a heavy snow flurry! They cleared the track and let us loose Wooohooo! Off every corner! The FWD corolla gt wasn't bad either! red line if my memory is correct was 7700 rpm and the fuel cut rev limiter was at an almighty 8200rpm! astonishing for It's day. One word of warning with these engines, they have hollow cranks so regrinds are, i believe, not doable.

Neil
                          www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

I had an MR2 as my last car before the surf and to be honest i often wish I hadnt sold it. it was superb to drive. mine was a 1989 G reg.
                            not the T bar version. 2 litre, not turbo. it was a genuine british car not a grey import so easier to insure. (cost £300 TPFT for a 27 year old livig in the south near to london)

Things to look out for: the coolant system, more precisely the radiator fins get damaged very easily as it is located in a vulnerable spot. its worth fitting a rad protector, I had to replace mine at a cost of around £300.
                            the pipework running from the engine to the front of the car can sometime go too, so if possible check that out. as its expensive to replace that, the labour cost is high on the MR2 as it is a bitch to work on with virtually no working space around the engine.

all in all, its an excellent car if its been looked after.( service history is important) if you go for a white one or other feminine colour, chances are a boy racer hsant thwupped it to an inch of its expiry date.
                            she's no angel

Comment

here's my 2 - no pun intended. had the mr2 for 2 months now. replaced radiator £90 , all brake pads £40 ,oil and filter £20 ,gearbox oil ( free from mr.t ) all 4 coil springs , changed wheels to bigger rev.3 15" for in the wet . full service history , 143,000 miles and runs like a train still . oh !! and its the posey t-bar with all leather interior .

Last edited by internetsurfer; 7 October 2006, 09:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X