Transmission fluid temp warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission fluid temp warning

Had a spin out to my friends 50th in Cwm Penmachno (see 'middle of nowhere' in your road atlas) and messed about on some slate / dirt tracks near a quarry. VERY steep, approached hooligan stylee. We were loaded up with camping gear and beer so the truck was quite heavy (we came back today minus beer).

At the top of one long climb, the ATF light came on, and stayed on for 5 minutes or so. Won't have done any damage will I?

I have 13 row cooler and plan on fitting it inline with the standard one when I change the fluid so hopefully it wont happen again. I dont know what the condition of the fluid was before our little escapade, but would burnt fluid overheat easier than fresh stuff?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Originally posted by Apache
    Won't have done any damage will I?

I have 13 row cooler and plan on fitting it inline with the standard one when I change the fluid so hopefully it wont happen again. I dont know what the condition of the fluid was before our little escapade, but would burnt fluid overheat easier than fresh stuff?
    Hello,

Unlikely to have caused any damage.

Drain some out of the gearbox and check the colour. New AFT is a nice clear pink/red - the stuff in your box will probably be brown.

I renewed mine last week - only takes about 4 litres to refill it.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62 always a good reminder.

And yes, old ATF loses it's properties, things get hot and slip, generating more heat, slippage, heat, slip etc you get the idea.............
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
    X