Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Surf

Guys

I went to look at a Surf today. It had 94000KMS on the clock, was an "M" Reg and was silver. It was a 3.0 SSRX Ltd.

Looked to be in good condition. It needed the cambelt doing shortly (100K I believe).

What is the concensus? Do you think it is worth £4600???

How much work is the cambelt to do?

It has original stereo, so that has to go...lol
    [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

Originally posted by angusglover
    Guys

I went to look at a Surf today. It had 94000KMS on the clock, was an "M" Reg and was silver. It was a 3.0 SSRX Ltd.

Looked to be in good condition. It needed the cambelt doing shortly (100K I believe).

What is the concensus? Do you think it is worth £4600???

How much work is the cambelt to do?

It has original stereo, so that has to go...lol
    You don't say if it's from a dealer or a private sale.

From a dealer I would say it's about right but I would personally try to get it down nearer to £4K. The last two 1994 3.0L SSRX Surfs that went on EBay were £3K (67,000m) and £2,550 (70,700Mm).

As far as the timing belt is concerned I found it one of the easiest to change I have come across. If you are a bit of a grease monkey and know one end of a spanner from the other it should take no more than an hour.

I'd personally recommend getting the belt direct from Toyota at £26.77+vat as I beleive it's too important to risk a sub-standard product. The Part. No. is T13568-69085 (correct for 1993 version).
    Brian

Comment

Hi

Thanks for reply. It is a dealer...

Comment

I would get the dealer to replace the cambelt before sale as any work you do after sale is a good excuse for the dealer to blame you for anything that goes wrong.
        (I'm sure I could have put that better but you get the point)
        Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

i think i know the surf that was sold for 2,550 was it a green one ssrg ??if so` the guy offered it back to me, it was one i sold him over a year ago, it was a clean tidy one why he only wanted that price i never found out but what i am trying to say here is now and again you will always see the odd cheap motor but this price is not the norm is it? you dont need to be too clever to look at the prices from top to bottom to see 2550 isnt normal. on the other hand there is a guy next to standstead airport who is selling L reg surfs for 6 grand lol this isnt normal either. i sell more surfs on ebay than most people and i am currently selling a black 3 ltr 94 mint for 4 grand. any other colour mint or otherwise 3700 i wont go on as i sound like i am plugging my own stuff ` thats not what i am doing, lol reall y

Comment

What is the mileage on the black one???

Comment

Cam Belt

THE MEMBER TWO THREADS BACK SAID THE CAM BELT WAS EASIEST EVER , ON THE FACE OF IT THATS THE CASE , I REMOVED MINE OK , BUT THE IDLER PULLEY WOULD NOT GO BACK FAR ENOUGH TO FIT NEW ONE , ON CLOSER INSPECTION THE PLUNGER IN THE CYLINDER WILL NOT RETRACT , HIT IT WITH HAMMER , SQUEEZED IN VICE , TURNED IT , IT WILL NOT MOVE IN OR OUT , CAN I TAKE IT IT,S BUGGERED ? , IF SO , WHERE DO I GET A NEW ONE ?
              REGARDS ROGER B

Comment

Originally posted by rogerb
                THE MEMBER TWO THREADS BACK SAID THE CAM BELT WAS EASIEST EVER , ON THE FACE OF IT THATS THE CASE , I REMOVED MINE OK , BUT THE IDLER PULLEY WOULD NOT GO BACK FAR ENOUGH TO FIT NEW ONE , ON CLOSER INSPECTION THE PLUNGER IN THE CYLINDER WILL NOT RETRACT , HIT IT WITH HAMMER , SQUEEZED IN VICE , TURNED IT , IT WILL NOT MOVE IN OR OUT , CAN I TAKE IT IT,S BUGGERED ? , IF SO , WHERE DO I GET A NEW ONE ?
                REGARDS ROGER B
                DO NOT hit the plunger with a hammer - it will not work and could damage it.

The plunger rod and the main body have small holes in them. You should place the plunger squarely in a vice and apply pressure. The rod will not move initially but after a few seconds you should be able to apply a little more pressure and the rod will slowly move inwards. You repeat this process a number of times and gradually the pin will move far enough back so that both holes line up.

Place a small diameter rod through both holes so that the plunger rod is locked and you should then be able to fit it back onto the engine. Once you have torqued up the bolts you can remove the locking rod to let the piston expand out against the cam belt tensioner pulley.

Before starting the engine turn the crank around a number of revolutions, via a spanner on the crank bolt, to ensure the belt is taught enough and does,nt slip over the teeth. Be happy that everything is as it should be before cranking and starting the engine.

If the piston shows any signs of oil weepage from it's seal then replace it. If the rod will not retract in the vice, as described, then replace it.
                If the tensioner pulley seal shows any signs of oil weepage then replace it (http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=16&vid=909).

You can get a plunger from Toyota direct but I would try Roughtrax first.
                Last edited by Panrixx; 1 October 2006, 13:16.
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
                  DO NOT hit the plunger with a hammer - it will not work and could damage it.

The plunger rod and the main body have small holes in them. You should place the plunger squarely in a vice and apply pressure. The rod will not move initially but after a few seconds you should be able to apply a little more pressure and the rod will slowly move inwards. You repeat this process a number of times and gradually the pin will move far enough back so that both holes line up.

Place a small diameter rod through both holes so that the plunger rod is locked and you should then be able to fit it back onto the engine. Once you have torqued up the bolts you can remove the locking rod to let the piston expand out against the cam belt tensioner pulley.

Before starting the engine turn the crank around a number of revolutions, via a spanner on the crank bolt, to ensure the belt is taught enough and does,nt slip over the teeth. Be happy that everything is as it should be before cranking and starting the engine.

If the piston shows any signs of oil weepage from it's seal then replace it. If the rod will not retract in the vice, as described, then replace it.
                  If the tensioner pulley seal shows any signs of oil weepage then replace it (http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=16&vid=909).

You can get a plunger from Toyota direct but I would try Roughtrax first.

THANKS FOR THAT BRIAN , YOU HAVE SAVED THE DAY , RETRACTED JUST LIKE YOU SAID & EXPANDED OK AFTER . SO I HAVE NOT DAMAGED IT WITH THE HAMMER , THERE IS NO OIL LEAKAGE FROM PISTON OR IDLER BRG , SO ALL I HAVE TO DO IS REFIT IT , WILL DO THIS AFTER IF STOPS RAINING ,

MANY THANKS ROGER B

Comment

90 000 , with milage certificate from .jumvea .anyone on this forum wil tel you angus this milage is nothing for one of these mate also its fresh not driven on uk rds apart from coming back from the docks this means its mint underneath
                    Last edited by mrsurf; 1 October 2006, 15:30.

Comment

Working...
                    X