Another tail(gate) of woe !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another tail(gate) of woe !!

Guys, i went to wind my tailgate window down and nothing happened. On further investigation it seems that the motor is working as it gives a sort of whizzing sound as if it is turning but the window does not move in either direction.
    I have taken all panels off the inner part of the tailgate but cannot see what should or is not happening as it is too awkward to see inside. My question is , does anybody have any idea as to what it may be and also how do i remove the workings of the tailgate , ie does it have to be done from the inside , is it easy to do for people with limited mechanical know how like myself , does anybody have a step by step guide or even pictures showing how to cure. Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks guys.

Hi Paul, bet you're surprised to get a reply at this time of the morning!!

OK, It sounds like the plastic gears in the window motor have finally worn down, or the drive coupling has sheared and there is no drive to move the window.

You need to get the motor out, a bit dificult but do-able with the window up.
    There's 3 bolts holding the motor onto the mechanism, but you wont be able to see them so you'll have to remove them by feel (10mm spanner)

Before you do though, you need to hold the glass up in the closed position with a length of wood, other wise the glass may fall when the motor is removed.
    Undo the bolts, and unplug the electrical connector to remove the motor.
    Once you get it out, you'll need to remove the gearbox plate, to see whats going on. It will probably be the rubber coupling has come unstuck from the metal wheel. I've repaired one like this just by glueing it back together with superglue and holding it tightly together in a vise.
    I can't show any pics until later 'cos i'm using a different computer at the moment, but there's enough for you to be getting on with..............
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 30 September 2006, 19:41.

Comment

Not got any advice but just thought I'd say hi as your not the only ones up at this time of night just about to go off to work anyway hope you get it sorted all the best John

Comment

Hi Vince ,

Thanks for the promt reply , and yes , i was a bit suprised at getting a response so quickley , especially at this time of the morning. Anyway , i will give that a go as it sounds fairly do-able for a novice like myself although awkward. Will have to wait till Tuesday as i don't finish my night shifts till then and will have seven days off ( just incase it takes me that long ).
        If you do happen to get pictures i would appreciate it if you could post them on here as i have started to compile a folder of different issues on here so as i can reference them incase of future problems i may encounter .
        Anway Vince , thanks again and GOOD MORNING TO YOU.

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by John McC
          Not got any advice but just thought I'd say hi as your not the only ones up at this time of night just about to go off to work anyway hope you get it sorted all the best John
          Morning to you John ,
          Nice to know i'm not the only one working through the night , though sad as it may be , i quite like the night shift as no hassle from managers or anyone else for that matter - and the big bonus is that i can stay on this surf site all night without worrying about who's going to come through the office door next !!! GREAAAAT

Comment

Some pics. The first pic showing what I mean about the rubber coupling coming unstuck from the metal part, and the last pic shows a can of rubber & nylon lubricant for the rubber window channels/guides.....

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              Some pics. The first pic showing what I mean about the rubber coupling coming unstuck from the metal part, and the last pic shows a can of rubber & nylon lubricant for the rubber window channels/guides.....
              Thanks Vince , i now feel alot happier having ago with the info and pic's you have sent. As i said i will have ago on tuesday when i finish nights.

Cheers mate

Paul.

Comment

Just for info I glued mine back twice and it came unstuck each time after a week or two. I ended up drilling through where the three indents are in the metal wheel (on Vinces pics) and putting three CSK machine screws and nuts through. It has been working OK ever since.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                  Just for info I glued mine back twice and it came unstuck each time after a week or two. I ended up drilling through where the three indents are in the metal wheel (on Vinces pics) and putting three CSK machine screws and nuts through. It has been working OK ever since.
                  Thanks mate , if it is what Vince said then i will probabley do what you suggested if i can find small enough machine screws in my shed , if not , then it will have to be the ever reliable araldite.

Comment

Working...
                  X