Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hawksie
    Hi all

Against my better judgement (and the fact that I'm a penny pinching skinflint) I decided to purchase a 1992 2.4TD SSRX yesterday.

See my only other previous thread for more background!

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...hlight=hawksie

Anyhow, whilst driving the beast home last night I suddenly lost power, the engine warning light came on and there was smoke and steam everywhere. Whilst the AA man was winching her aboard he noticed a patch of oil and suggested that the Turbo might have blown or that the rings might have gone.
    This morning, in the cold light of day, I had a look under the bonnet and there is indeed oil coming out of the turbo area and a few drops underneath on the ground. After filling up the rad it started ok ish but after a few seconds water started pumping out from the coolant top-up overflow pipe.

So, at first guess, can anybody throw some light on the situation and how much it's going to set me back to get fixed.

Regards

Hawksie
    As you are in North Wales STEVO in Stockport is nearer. He has his own ENGINE CO & is very very good
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      As you are in North Wales STEVO in Stockport is nearer. He has his own ENGINE CO & is very very good
      I think Stevo did mine before I got it (Head done in Jan, I bought it in March) and the guy I bought mine from drove it from nr Hull to Sheffield, and I drove from there home to Banbury - its recently started to overheat, but a new rad cap, stat and a coolant flush will see to that!

Good luck getting yours sorted mate.
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

As per the post 3 posts up, she's off to Stevo's tomorrow to see if he can sort her out.

Here's hoping

Also, I did post previously that if anybody has a manual/handbook they could email me I'd be most grateful - chris@premierhomeservices.co.u k

Ta

Hawksie

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          New rad cap needed?
          Is there a thermostat fitted?

Remove the rad cap, set heaters to hot, fill expansion tank to half full, start engine and top up with water.
          Leave rad cap off while engine is warming up and keep topping up until the temp gauge starts moving. Re fit rad cap bring engine upto normal running temp, check that warm air is coming from the heater vents. If no warm air, then you've either got an air lock or the heater matrix is blocked and the coolant isn't circulating.

With the engine still running, remove the cap from the expansion bottle and see if there's a continuous stream of bubbles coming from the end of the tube, if so then you have exhaust gasses in the cooling system (gasket or cylinder head knackered)

If coolant is pouring from the end of the tube, then the rad cap is not sealing properly so renew it.
          I've just done this - mine is fine if the heater is not set to cold - I get lovely warm/hot air from the vents and as soon as I turn the heater from cold to warm or further, the temp gauge goes back to normal. I looked into the expansion bottle, rad cap on, engine cold and running and I get a constant stream of bubbles - my head was done in Jan by The Engine Co in Stockport - surely the head is not gone already or the gasket????

Comment

You've still got air in the cooling system.
            Remove cap and top up if necessary, and leave the cap off for a few hours then recheck. The air will find it's own way out by then, but make sure the truck is on level ground, if you can't then make sure the front is higher than the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              You've still got air in the cooling system.
              Remove cap and top up if necessary, and leave the cap off for a few hours then recheck. The air will find it's own way out by then, but make sure the truck is on level ground, if you can't then make sure the front is higher than the rear.
              Cheers Vince (also with God-like status)

I've changed the stat just now, added Bars Flush to get the goo out, and topped up, rad cap off, left on the drive for a few ours to check back on later, then I'm going to drive about a bit tomorrow then flush the system and replace coolant and rad cap and see how we go.

AG

Comment

wash out the radiator fins with low pressure hose,if truck has been off road will be solid with mud.if youu had head changed maybe that head bolts need to be retightened

Comment

i would shop around for a diesel mechanic most are all as good as one another the difference is normally in the price, i am sure there's loads in north wales

Comment

Working...
                  X