Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White residue on rad cap

Hi all

Took the rad cap off tonight in preparation for coolant replacement and new stat, and there was some white residue on it, that looks and feels like limescale - there were a few blobs of it on the top of the outlet too - is it limescale or something more serious????
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Could well be limescale, I suppose. Need to use softer water when you refill in future!!

If it was a mixture of oil and water, the white goo would be more like mayonaisse than limescale.
    It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by itbloke@tiscali.co.uk
      .... there was some white residue on it.... is it something more serious????
      Yes- your car's got secret cocain habit!

Comment

That would explain why it's taking so much money off me.......

Comment

That would explain why it's taking so much money off me.......
          ask frank !!!
          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

I used antifreeze and distilled water in mine. No lurgies yet.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

try your dip stick see if thats got the same cream on it!

Comment

It's dead, oil + water = cheese! Burn & claim doomed DOOMED.....or mibbi it's nowt

Comment

Hi all

Took the rad cap off tonight in preparation for coolant replacement and new stat, and there was some white residue on it, that looks and feels like limescale - there were a few blobs of it on the top of the outlet too - is it limescale or something more serious????
                  sounds like dried coolant to me mine has the same
                  Trust your Hound.

Comment

its got a kind of gritty consistency - which is why I think its scale, rather than emulsified oil/water - dip stick is oil only, oil filler cap doesn't have any goo on it either..

Comment

Nothing to worry about mate. This happens on all the trucks I've ever owned. I think its where the coolant seeps out slightly then dries on the very hot metal. It usually happens around the rad cap and on the edges of the rubber hoses where coolant has seeped out.

DONT use tap water to fill the system. You can use a hose and tap water to flush system thru, but buy distilled water to fill the system. This should stop the limescale.

Comment

Working...
                      X