Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loose barrels

Hi folks

My drivers door lock has been troublesome for a few months now. It doesn't always want to lock / unlock with either key, and seems the barrel is worn and loose inside - making it difficult for the key to engage correctly.
    Is it possible to swap door locks passenger-driver or do I have to fanny about getting a new lock and barrel configured to original key?
    any thoughts?
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

As far as I know from dismantling a few Surf doors you should be able to change the locks over.

You need to take off the door card with the window up.
    You should be able to find a thread on the forum for removing the door card.
    As you look at the lock barrel you will see what looks like a slotted screw on the end. It is not do NOT try to unscrew this as it will snap.
    Remove the linkage from the end of the barrel (the small circlip).
    You should then be able to remove the large u shaped clip that holds that barrel in the handle housing.
    Be careful as with mine the barrel has worn and might drop to pieces.
    Get someone to guide the barrel out with a finger to hold all the pieces in place if loose.
    I must add I had the advantage of having the doors off the car so it was just very fiddly. Doing this job on the car will be more trouble.
    It might be worth putting a cloth under the lock to catch the circlips.

Hope this helps a bit

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
      Hi folks

My drivers door lock has been troublesome for a few months now. It doesn't always want to lock / unlock with either key, and seems the barrel is worn and loose inside - making it difficult for the key to engage correctly.
      Is it possible to swap door locks passenger-driver or do I have to fanny about getting a new lock and barrel configured to original key?
      any thoughts?

How about fitting a remote central locking kit?

Comment

You could but, but don't you have the need to fiddle and knacker things up!

But yes central locking is the answer.

A good fitter won't touch the lock barrels or charge you for motors that you should'nt need.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          How about fitting a remote central locking kit?
          I have thought about that Vince - but my emergency surf repair/upgrade kitty is currently funding PROJECT BIG AIR HORN at the moment
          Just got some big horns from USA and currently fitting air receiver. I'm on with trying to find/fit decent second air con compressor for on board air.

thanks for info Steve.
          Last edited by jaky cakes; 26 September 2006, 17:35.
          Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Working...
          X