cyl head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cyl head

removed the head yesterday as it overheated while sitting in a traffic jam.Yes a complicated job,but you guesed it..........3 cracks,2 in no2 cyl the other in no4.Found a company in Durham that does a new head for £595 +vat...!credit card is gona take a bashing.

Don`t forget to check your water.

Jim

Originally posted by surfbanger
    removed the head yesterday as it overheated while sitting in a traffic jam.Yes a complicated job,but you guesed it..........3 cracks,2 in no2 cyl the other in no4.Found a company in Durham that does a new head for £595 +vat...!credit card is gona take a bashing.

Don`t forget to check your water.

Jim
    does that include new cam, valves etc,
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Jim,

I was talking to Empire imports last month and he said he could get a head for under £400. They are at Chester moor and do all sorts of repairs.

Phil

Where in Durham are you. I am at Gt Lumley...

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H
        Jim,

I was talking to Empire imports last month and he said he could get a head for under £400. They are at Chester moor and do all sorts of repairs.

Phil

Where in Durham are you. I am at Gt Lumley...
        that will be a reconditioned head
        [size=5][/size]
        [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

head price

Hi the head is from chester moor and it is complete and is new....i live in nettlesworth

Comment

Hi the head is from chester moor and it is complete and is new....i live in nettlesworth
            only asked because andy got his complete from ukcylinderheads.co.uk and it was genuine toyota
            [size=5][/size]

Comment

Sorry the head is from www.ukcylinderheads.co.uk they are based in Durham. Not Chester moor.They also do the head bolts gaskets and timing belts.total job around £800

JIM

Comment

Sorry the head is from www.ukcylinderheads.co.uk they are based in Durham. Not Chester moor.They also do the head bolts gaskets and timing belts.total job around £800

JIM
                Jim.

Mine came from www.ukcylinderheads.co.uk as well only the website says they are from Par in Cornwall. But it seems the company must be the same as the price is the same.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                  Jim.

Mine came from www.ukcylinderheads.co.uk as well only the website says they are from Par in Cornwall. But it seems the company must be the same as the price is the same.

Cheers
                  They do two sets off gaskets, replacement ones and genuine Toyota multi layer ones.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                    They do two sets off gaskets, replacement ones and genuine Toyota multi layer ones.
                    go for the toyota ones, remember measure once cut twice, or is it the other way round!!!!!!!!
                    [size=5][/size]

Comment

Has anybody tried getting the head "Stitched" I did this once with an old Series II LR, lot cheaper, and it worked.
                      John
                      http://members.dodo.com.au/burston/drinkofbeer.gifA pint of lunatic soup please!

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Surfer
                        Has anybody tried getting the head "Stitched" I did this once with an old Series II LR, lot cheaper, and it worked.
                        John
                        "Stitched" is the poor bloke that bought it off you
                        [size=5][/size]

Comment

Jim,

What colour is your surf? I have a workshop in Sacriston(behind the Police station) and pass your way regularly.(only on the way home since the roadworks started!!) I see a Green one parked back from the road as you go into Sacriston.

Mine is red 2.4 ssr-x with the big SURF stickers on the doors. I have probably waved at some time or other.

Phil..

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                            "Stitched" is the poor bloke that bought it off you
                            I'd say that some heads can be stitched perfectly OK however on the Surf the main reason for them failing as opposed to just the gaskets blowing is that the waterways are very close to the valves on this head which is not the case with other engines. This causes a weakness which will still be there even after repairing the head. The Old Landy heads had so much metal in them it's a wonder that the car could actually power the weight along. While the Landrover isn't exactly my favorite car you can't fault the overengineering in the engine (even if other bits fall off regularly and is probably why around 70% of all the 2M plus Landrovers ever built is still running (damn need to get me a bazooka).

I wouldn't repair a surf head, the newer ones are supposed to be redesigned to remove the weakness. You may get away with things for a while but things like that have a nasty habit of coming back and biting you in the a***

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                              I'd say that some heads can be stitched perfectly OK however on the Surf the main reason for them failing as opposed to just the gaskets blowing is that the waterways are very close to the valves on this head which is not the case with other engines. This causes a weakness which will still be there even after repairing the head. The Old Landy heads had so much metal in them it's a wonder that the car could actually power the weight along. While the Landrover isn't exactly my favorite car you can't fault the overengineering in the engine (even if other bits fall off regularly and is probably why around 70% of all the 2M plus Landrovers ever built is still running (damn need to get me a bazooka).

I wouldn't repair a surf head, the newer ones are supposed to be redesigned to remove the weakness. You may get away with things for a while but things like that have a nasty habit of coming back and biting you in the a***

Cheers
                              andy, i am talking from experience here series 2 landrover heads dont last very long when they have been stitched, my mate bought one that had been done, went again soon after, also the best engine is the five bearing which was fitted from around 1982 previous to this they was four bearings not as good
                              [size=5][/size]

Comment

Working...
                              X