Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay bargain (I hope)

Just won these on fleabay £5.50 +£12.50 p&p
    So sometime next week I'll be ripping the liner out and setting too with the drill on the roof anyone got any tips, VIIIIINCE ??
    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

if you are thinking of using cross pieces on them, get them first, so you know the spacing is right, and they will keep em square while you are marking the holes. and yse they were a bargain!

[scary voice on] vince isn't here now... {scary voice off}
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

here's a couple of tips which have served me well in the past.
      don't bother trying to accurately measure your roof for bolt holes, simply apply1 or 2 layers of masking tape to the general area. line up the bar by eye and then firmly press the bar feet down into masking tape. The bolt holes on the feet leave a small impression on the tape in exactly the right place.

Also don't rush the drilling. start with the smallest drill (diameter) you have and make a carefull pilot hole. Then swap for correct size drill and set it as far into the chuck as possible - that way if drill does "snatch" - there is less of it to go through your roof lining!!! -AND drill very slowly for the same reason - so you can stop drilling in time should it "snatch".
      plenty of black silicon around the mounts. don't worry about it ouzing out - it comes off very easily with white spirit.
      hope this helps - and good luck.
      measure twice - cut once!
      Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Roof liner shouldn't get damaged as I presume I'm going to have to take that out to bolt from inside, anyone know if those 4 plastic bits (for want of a better word) in the rear of the liner just pull out ?

Paul

Comment

[QUOTE=paulh]Roof liner shouldn't get damaged as I presume I'm going to have to take that out to bolt from insideQUOTE]

You don't have to! I bought a similar designed bar from ironfly. It came with clinch nuts ( sort of expanding steel rawl bolts) that fit from the outside. saved me hours of work by not removing roof lining. and the are plenty strong enough to cope.

Comment

I know the type of thing that you mean but I suspect that they may still be inside the lining of the doner car.
            Still I've got plenty of time to play and i'll find a way.(poet)
            Cheers

Paul

Comment

if you want to use clinch nuts - you can buy them from most car type shops or engineering type places.

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
                Roof liner shouldn't get damaged as I presume I'm going to have to take that out to bolt from inside, anyone know if those 4 plastic bits (for want of a better word) in the rear of the liner just pull out ?
                They do "just" pull out but usually break, all four of mine did, you can get similar fasteners from halfrauds etc, other than them the liner comes down quite easy once all the trim is out, get someone to help support it to stop it folding, or stick a bit of wood at one ent to support it,
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

So sometime next week I'll be ripping the liner out and setting too with the drill on the roof anyone got any tips, VIIIIINCE ??
                  I picked a set up off an Astra, have cut all the fiving off and shaped the bottoms drilled them ready for bolts, now these expanding fixing sound good. I really had a result when big bruv gave me a set of bars, so I've just been waiting a chance to strip the head liner, now looks I['ve got an easier job.

If all goes well I'll post piccys
                  www.puppywalker.co.uk

Comment

MMMMMMM Shiny Chrome.......

Hi Paul!! (only just getting round to fitting those spots...just won a surf switch ffrom fleabay to fit in the center console which should work better)

Stu
                    http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

Take the roof lining down first, especially if you have a sunroof, as you can tell exactly where the best place is to drill the roof. I drilled mine as close to the edge as poss, as it's stronger there 'cos the roof panel meets the side and overlaps.
                      But, as Chillitt points out, if you're buying the cross bars to match the rails, you'll be governed by them. I made my own so I didn't have to think about that.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                        Take the roof lining down first, especially if you have a sunroof, as you can tell exactly where the best place is to drill the roof. I drilled mine as close to the edge as poss, as it's stronger there 'cos the roof panel meets the side and overlaps.
                        But, as Chillitt points out, if you're buying the cross bars to match the rails, you'll be governed by them. I made my own so I didn't have to think about that.
                        Yeh I think thats what I'll do Vince, I know the roof is pretty flimsy in certain places from when I've carried stuff on my multiracks (suckers)
                        I cant afford to be buying ready made cross bars so I'll just fix the rails on where I find it to be the strongest and maybe put some sort of load spreader under them.
                        Hi Stu
                        You'll have to post some pics of the lights, did you manage to fit them into the spoiler as planned, I think mine have just about survived todays outing at Castleford but i've yet to dig them out of all the mud and stuff thats attached to the a bar.

Paul

Comment

Yeh I think thats what I'll do Vince, I know the roof is pretty flimsy in certain places from when I've carried stuff on my multiracks (suckers)
                          I cant afford to be buying ready made cross bars so I'll just fix the rails on where I find it to be the strongest and maybe put some sort of load spreader under them.
                          Hi Stu
                          You'll have to post some pics of the lights, did you manage to fit them into the spoiler as planned, I think mine have just about survived todays outing at Castleford but i've yet to dig them out of all the mud and stuff thats attached to the a bar.

I used two sides of an old aluminium ladder, held onto the rails with exhaust clamps.

Comment

Got the rails on Thursday and just finished fitting them.
                            When I first sat them on the roof I thought OH NO it looked like a hearse, too high and too much chrome, so I set about cutting the uprights down by about 1/2" and rubbed them down and sprayed them with matching blue paint.
                            Taking the roof lining out was a pain in the a**e and refitting was twice as bad but gave me chance to give it a good clean and by heck did it need it.
                            The rails originally fitted on to spigots which were fixed in the doner cars roof so all I had were 12mm holes in the base of each foot.
                            I epoxied 4 12mm studs into the holes and fixed with nut from inside.
                            Anyway i'm pleased with the results.
                            Some before and after pics.

Paul

Comment

Tidy job Paul, well worth the hassle of removing the headlining.

Comment

Working...
                              X