Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying first SURF.....

Guys,

Going to visit my first SURF tomorrow........love the look and drive of the cars.......have you got any tips on what can go wrong, so therefore what to look at whilst buying a car.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark

Apart from the useual, go for a 3lt if possible, if tis a 2.4 check the heads been done a get written proof (or a good warranty) apart from that check everything works inc the 4 wheel drive and have a good poke about underneath, as you would any car, if it sounds ok, drives ok and looks ok buy it, you'll find plenty of invalueable info on this site good hunting Ian
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Hi,
      Check all the same stuff you'd check when buying any car, plus of course make sure the 4wd system is working, plus all the electric windows and stuff & check aircon works.
      Sounds silly but some of this stuff can work out v. expensive to fix.

Good luck.
      Clive.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Going to need some details on what model you're going to look at.

However, general stuff:

1. Check fluid levels, esp coolant.
        2. Check no cross-contamination of oil/water (you'll see a 'mayonaisse' like substance under the oil cap)
        3. Check no excessive smoke from exhaust. Best done when starting from cold if possible, and with someone else watching.
        4. Check everything looks in good condition considering age of vehicle

Things not to worry about...
        High mileage diesels, apart from the 2.4 heads blowing Toyota diesels tend to last forever
        A grinding noise when turning on full lock, just needs a few dabs of grease on the steering stops. If you want to try bargaining, noises like this are good of course because it sounds awful and expensive
        Windows moving slowly, especially the rear window when the engine isn't running

Plenty of other stuff, a search should bring up other things to check though.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

And above all that make sure it's blue
          Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by marktippins1981
            Guys,

Going to visit my first SURF tomorrow........love the look and drive of the cars.......have you got any tips on what can go wrong, so therefore what to look at whilst buying a car.

Many thanks

Mark
            Hi Mark, brought my first Surf yesterday and so far it seems all good. I guess a few hours on this forum will be time well spent for both of us.
            Would you believe I can’t get a no claims discount in the UK as my Spanish policy says 65% discount and not how many years (never made a claim ever).
            Just got it covered in Spain for 300 euros third party as they work the US system and have to photograph it before you can get fully comp.
            Hope it all goes well tomorrow.

Comment

Hello

My advice would be

DON'T

Unless you are prepared to become seriously addicted and after every mod you just start looking for the next - body lift? suspension lift? winches? intercooler? oversize tyres? drop in a V8 Nitrous sniffing beast ...go Mark......
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by namira
                Hi Mark, brought my first Surf yesterday and so far it seems all good. I guess a few hours on this forum will be time well spent for both of us.
                Would you believe I can’t get a no claims discount in the UK as my Spanish policy says 65% discount and not how many years (never made a claim ever).
                Just got it covered in Spain for 300 euros third party as they work the US system and have to photograph it before you can get fully comp.
                THIS POST IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Guys,

Going to visit my first SURF tomorrow........
                  Where are you going to see the Surf, Mark? Somewhere local??
                  It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                    THIS POST IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES
                    I hope this work. No so I will have to find out how to post a pic as I hit the upload and nothing!Hang on marky I'll get there in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by namira
                      Did you try Footman James? If not, give them a call and see if they can give you your NCB.

Tel. No. 0845 458 6791
                      Brian

Comment

Well i bought it......many thanks for all your replies.

There were none of the bad points you mentioned, although the big middle exhaust silencer is rusty, and it needs a service, but apart from that it is completely mint!!

I have to say.....it is a beast!!!! I love it. I was a big boy racer (or at least that was my kind of background), and had sports car after sports car.....but now getting a bit older, etc......this has completely changed my driving style tho'....

I now just cruise around with the tunes on, enjoying the ride. It is fantastic

Here is the spec.....

1996 SSR-X
                        3.0 TD
                        70k miles
                        Black & Chrome
                        Automatic (thought i would hate this, but love it !!!!)
                        Polished Alloys w/ BFGoodrich Tyres (looks sweet)

I will post some pictures of it, oh and i am also getting 30+ mpg out of her, which is brilliant, as my 400bhp 300ZX did under 15 mpg!!! (it was bankrupting me)

I have got a set of Recaro interior to go in there now, so if anyone wants to buy the old seats (they are in near perfect condition, and i have to say, REALLY comfortable). They are black, with blue and grey trim.

Comment

Oh, and one question i would ask is.....I have a switch with ECT on it (Normal & Power are the options).....what the hell does it do?

I assume it is like a "sport" mode.....which i found quite funny, lol

Comment

Oh, and one question i would ask is.....I have a switch with ECT on it (Normal & Power are the options).....what the hell does it do?

I assume it is like a "sport" mode.....which i found quite funny, lol
                            You are just about right, it re maps where the gear changes come in.

Trev
                            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                              You are just about right, it re maps where the gear changes come in.

Trev

What it should say on the button is.......Press here if you want to waste fuel.

Comment

Working...
                              X