Binned the aircon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vatchman
    BTW - I loved the idea of using the compressor as the Aussies have - then use it to power air adjustable suspension - now there's a project - Vatchman off you go...........
    mmmm.let me see,comppressor,air tank,air valves,a few old ran--rov-- air suspension bags,a bit of blood sweat,swearing and tears,there you have it.a rubber dinghy
    C'mon Mark - please ......

I used to work for Borg Warner and Rangies used to use a transfer case we made in South Wales. First time we had the development cars off Rover we were amazed at how much lift the air suspension gives - all from the cab.

I think it would be a brilliant off road mod. And I thought about using the Rover system - locate a boken one and start stripping it.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

all jokes beside your probably right there andy,it would make quite an interesting project,like you say all you need is a s$$$$per,there should be a few of them around no doubt.and you would end up with a one of a kind surf,you never know you could start a trend like vince has with the lc springs.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Once had a go in a Caddy Fleetwood, that had air suspension (rear) for towing etc, that was back in the 60's, my old 68 rivera had fibre-optic lighting to the heater controlls, they were way ahead of the field then,
        Air sus? something else for me to worry about think i'll just get a
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
          quite an interesting project,like you say all you need is a s$$$$per,.
          Just started looking on fleabay and found this - too early a model - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Range-Rover-Cl...QQcmdZViewItem

(another engine for you Mark)

but they are out there - I can smell it -

found 'em http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RANGE-ROVER-CL...QQcmdZViewItem
          Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 18 September 2006, 22:35.

Comment

i did try using the air con rad as an oil cooler, the fittings are very small, and a sod to convert, you have to flush all the air con gunk out, and it will probably leak anyway cos thats why you junked the aircon in the first place... ah, happy days...

you can get air bags to back up the rear springs, i think firestone make some- someone on here got some in last year... a good trick...
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
              you can get air bags to back up the rear springs, i think firestone make some- someone on here got some in last year... a good trick...
              I think it's Jotto who installed the airbags. And as for using the aircon as a compressor it's not just the Aussies who can do it. I put a write up in the file download area ages ago
              Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
                I think it's Jotto who installed the airbags. And as for using the aircon as a compressor it's not just the Aussies who can do it. I put a write up in the file download area ages ago
                Roger - excellent mod - I think my compressor will be going back on the truck.

I've bid on some old Rover suspension bags from fleabay, I think the next couple of months project is sorted!

Jotto - what air springs did you use on your truck?

Comment

OMG what have i said! Please dont blame me Boyo when you knock the newly formed skin off your knuckles again I knew one of the members had done it just could'nt remember who, Thanks for the links too, Doubt i'll be doing this in the near future but in case, can i just leave the compressor unit on and remove all the other stuff inc the belt so it's not takeing power from the engine? Ta Ian

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                    OMG what have i said! Please dont blame me Boyo when you knock the newly formed skin off your knuckles again I knew one of the members had done it just could'nt remember who, Thanks for the links too, Doubt i'll be doing this in the near future but in case, can i just leave the compressor unit on and remove all the other stuff inc the belt so it's not takeing power from the engine? Ta Ian
                    Yeah - just rip all the stuff off from the underside - leave the compressor bolted and electrically connected. All the other stuff I mentioned hoses etc can come off as well.

Getting the belt off will involve loosening the compressor adjustor and the power steering unit - but that will be easy from the underside with the cooler off.

Comment

Cheer's Andrew

Comment

Working...
                      X