Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binned the aircon

Hello,

As it had ceased to blow cold, and it was the old R12 system, we binned the entire aircon system.

Attached photos of what came off, and all the room left without the aircon on the car.

No wonder changing the timing belt was easier than I expected - you can actually get to all the underside stuff.

The bull bars are long gone, with all this weight off the front its looks like I got saggy ar*e syndrome - well the truck does anyway.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Nice work. I want to rip my air con out as well. Doesn't seem to work to well. Thought the clearance underneath would help as well.

Was it a hard/time consuming job to do??
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

I took mine out earlier this year too!

It is relatively easy; I think getting the steel pipes was the most fiddliest.
      I like Orientals

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Doc
        I took mine out earlier this year too!

It is relatively easy; I think getting the steel pipes was the most fiddliest.
        Agree - quite an easy job, and wiggling the pipes out was the hardest part. Apart from rounding off one of the compressor bolts with my rubbish India socket set - maybe that's why my knuckles are still on the engine.

You won't believe how much room you're left with underneath. Well worth doing.

Comment

Is there a guide or info anywhere on doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by smithsurf
            Is there a guide or info anywhere on doing it?
            This is what I did -

Release gas out of small inlet valve on top of compressor (almost none came out). This should be done by correct method if you think there is lots of gas in there.

Drop the engine bash plate to get at the heat exchanger. Undo hoses. Undo 4 bolts and pull exchanger off. You will also need to unclip the wires going to the fans. There will be a couple of brackets to take off a cross member. And you can lose some of the wiring.

Remove two hoses off top of compressor. Trace them through the engine, undo the other ends and wiggle them out.

Cut fan belt. Undo 4 bolts holding compressor to engine. Undo bolts holding compressor belt adjuster bracket. Take off smooth tensioner wheel.

There is a small tank behind the grill - right hand side. I took this out when I had the radiator off doing the timing belt.

Thats about it - just make sure there's no pressure in the system before undoing anything.

The tensioner bearing was knackered - the engine is much quieter on tick over.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
              This is what I did -

Release gas out of small inlet valve on top of compressor (almost none came out). This should be done by correct method if you think there is lots of gas in there.

Drop the engine bash plate to get at the heat exchanger. Undo hoses. Undo 4 bolts and pull exchanger off. You will also need to unclip the wires going to the fans. There will be a couple of brackets to take off a cross member. And you can lose some of the wiring.

Remove two hoses off top of compressor. Trace them through the engine, undo the other ends and wiggle them out.

Cut fan belt. Undo 4 bolts holding compressor to engine. Undo bolts holding compressor belt adjuster bracket. Take off smooth tensioner wheel.

There is a small tank behind the grill - right hand side. I took this out when I had the radiator off doing the timing belt.

Thats about it - just make sure there's no pressure in the system before undoing anything.

The tensioner bearing was knackered - the engine is much quieter on tick over.
              Cheers for the info. you make it sound so simple I'll add it to my list of things i must do.

Comment

good job andrew.thats the first thing i did on my truck ,it was useless anyway,but like you said its amazing how much room you gain and the fact that it makes the truck lighter and it saves you fuel too and it regains a bit more hp to the engine.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

TLB Hi mate got a question, as my air con dose'nt work i was thinking of either removeing it or useing it as a compressor as some guys have done,
                  ( aint got a specific use for a comp but you never know) thing is can i keep the fan as i got it through a switch to help with cooling? i'm assuming removeing the air-con rad will give ya more room under there for say an oil cooler, Ian
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

You've got the front fan switched Ian. That's seperate to the aircon, so you can
                    rip the aircon system out without affecting anything.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                      You've got the front fan switched Ian. That's seperate to the aircon, so you can
                      rip the aircon system out without affecting anything.
                      Once again Thanks Matt!! shows you what i know, so the air-con dose'nt have a fan or are there more of em lurking in there I remember a post on here about useing it as a compressor also there's one on the AUS tech site,Have'ne made my mind up on that, come to that wether it's worth the bother,

Comment

theres 2 fans on the cooler. which you can take of the radiator bit anf leave in place. then a tinker with the wires to make it go. dont know how much it will help with the cooling though..
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                          theres 2 fans on the cooler. which you can take of the radiator bit anf leave in place. then a tinker with the wires to make it go. dont know how much it will help with the cooling though..
                          Can't hurt mate, the more the better, Just a thought but could you use the air-con rad as an oil cooler? or do you need a special rad for that?

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                            Can't hurt mate, the more the better, Just a thought but could you use the air-con rad as an oil cooler? or do you need a special rad for that?
                            Hello, I asked Tony N this very thing at the Surf RTTS - concensus was that if you used such a big rad it would cool the ATF too much - it does need to be at engine temperature.

Taking the lower rad off will aid cooling of the engine without the fans - just due to the amount of room it releases.

There is room to fit a small oil cooler for the ATF behind the front grill - you just Tee it into the ATF lines - which are easy to get to now! http://www.kenlowe.co.uk/

BTW - I loved the idea of using the compressor as the Aussies have - then use it to power air adjustable suspension - now there's a project - Vatchman off you go...........

Comment

BTW - I loved the idea of using the compressor as the Aussies have - then use it to power air adjustable suspension - now there's a project - Vatchman off you go...........
                              mmmm.let me see,comppressor,air tank,air valves,a few old ran--rov-- air suspension bags,a bit of blood sweat,swearing and tears,there you have it.a rubber dinghy
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X