3.0 known problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0 known problems

Hi All - just been offerred a Surf 3.0TD. I have read loads in this forum about the head / cooling issues on the 2.4s. What are the big issues on the 3.0, and what known faults should I be looking out for? P.S. This car is fresh in from Japan, so I woud welcome advice along the lines of do XXXX, & XXXXX as a precaution against xxxx. Sorry if this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find answers when i searched.

Originally posted by gillms
    Hi All - just been offerred a Surf 3.0TD. I have read loads in this forum about the head / cooling issues on the 2.4s. What are the big issues on the 3.0, and what known faults should I be looking out for? P.S. This car is fresh in from Japan, so I woud welcome advice along the lines of do XXXX, & XXXXX as a precaution against xxxx. Sorry if this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find answers when i searched.
    search on cooling, you should flush the coolant and replace with a UK type and do a full service, oil, belts, filters all available from www.milneroffroad.co.uk everyone recommends them and i've used them a couple of times the filter kit for the 1KZ-TE is £15 +vat and postage.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Have a look here for questions etc http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

But basically as dabigman has said above, also they don't come undersealed so until the weather warms up a bit so you can get under and do it keep the underside jet washed down for now.
      Check it sits level and the arse end isn't sitting down, if it is it'll need new springs.
      3.0 to date haven't suffered the poor designed head the 2.4's did and then it wasn't all of them. A new head will be one of the new design and the problem shouldn't re-occur.
      3.0 probably more adapt at towing but thats not to say the 2.4 won't tow because it does very well.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Thanks for instant reply! Impressive.
        Sorry - I should have explained that I am looking for ANY common known 3.0 issues in general, not just cooling. Any other info very welcome. Cheers M8

Comment

Thanks for instant reply! Impressive.
          Sorry - I should have explained that I am looking for ANY common known 3.0 issues in general, not just cooling. Any other info very welcome. Cheers M8

Common, none reported to date, so if you are after a more of a peace of mind drive then the 3.0 is the one to go for.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

oh, and if it has a under hanging spare wheel, take it off and check the exhaust and general area for rust, as the water tends to sit in there.
            and the bonnets seem to have a vibration problem... not bad just a little niggly, a bit of foam under the back of it will solve it!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
              the bonnets seem to have a vibration problem... not bad just a little niggly, a bit of foam under the back of it will solve it!
              Any pics of this fix? I have the bonnet vibration as well.

Comment

The 3.0 dosn't have any known common problems apart from the normal import ones of poor undersealing - so get it undersealed. Generally all the Surfs are built like Brick outhouses with the Head on some 2.4s being the only serious issue.

Think Hilux pickup, put an estate car body on it and you got a Surf.

And we all know how tough the pickups are.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X