Heated fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated fuel

I`ve installed an electrical glow-plug heater pre and post fuel filter. This is to help with cold-starting on a single tank veg/diesel mix. I have backed this up with a Vaillant flat-plate heat exchanger installed pre-filter. The heat supply is from the heater-hose. This heat exchanger will dominate the system when engine is warmed up and switch off the electrical heater.

So far I have had very good results and engine warms up quicker, is quieter and more responsive. I`ve yet to experiment with mixes but hope to run 75% SVO right through winter. Cost of materials: £90.00

Nice comments only please on the metal-gaffa tape and wire!!
    Powered by Toyota!

I bet you've got a blue peter badge
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by chrisinflight
      Cost of materials: £90.00

Hello,

Nice mod - write up an article with lots of piccies and ask one of the administrators to post it in the tech section.

And what's wrong with gaffer tape? I use rolls of it!
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Nice work ......

I so want one now.....

am looking into the setup that Phillip sells on here... as i am a bit scared of doing it myself just need some instructions and all the stuff in front of me .... like painting by numbers lol.....

Stu
        http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

Looking good Chris. Nice job.

I've been meaning to look into fitting one of the Fuel Cat heaters myself.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Start Up

Unfortunately, non of these heater installations, including my Combo, help with initial startup, which is the main problem in cold weather. If you could put wires inside pump somehow, of course that would be best. In fact if someone could dissasemble a pump and somehow you could put a heating element inside, say at the bottom, it would heat fuel in the pump very quickly so not use too much power.
            Not knowing what inside pump is exactly like, i am not sure, but i am sure if could be done, would be well worth while.
            Please don't tell anyone about my new idea!!
            Philip

If anyone has an old pump they do not want, please let me know.
            Still Searching,
            Dick Whittington

Comment

Nice job Chris. There's nowt wrong with gaffer tape, insulation tape or
              amalgamating tape. Three basic items in any toolbox.

Philip, why not just create another inline unit like the alloy block of Chris's
              above? If it's directly inline before the pump or filter, it would be a far less
              scary modification than modifying the pump itself. An alloy machined/cast
              block, a glow plug and an electric thermostat are all that's needed. (I realise
              that last sentence is probably like trying to teach Grandma to suck eggs).

Comment

[QUOTE=MattF],
                amalgamating tape. The basic item in any toolbox.
                QUOTE]

That is the only tool in your box isn't it?..... oh and light blue paint!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  That is the only tool in your box isn't it?..... oh and light blue paint!
                  I wish. I'd actually have some room left in the back of the Surf then. You can't
                  beat a good bit of amalg. 1001 uses. V.F envy, Vince?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                    V.F envy, Vince?

Well, umm,.......yeah, maybe a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisinflight
                      I`ve installed an electrical glow-plug heater pre and post fuel filter. This is to help with cold-starting on a single tank veg/diesel mix. I have backed this up with a Vaillant flat-plate heat exchanger installed pre-filter. The heat supply is from the heater-hose. This heat exchanger will dominate the system when engine is warmed up and switch off the electrical heater.

So far I have had very good results and engine warms up quicker, is quieter and more responsive. I`ve yet to experiment with mixes but hope to run 75% SVO right through winter. Cost of materials: £90.00

I'm always interested in CHEAP mods, and especially ones that make running Vege easier.

Will you be supplying a step by step guide?

Looks good. Keep us posted on how it works over winter!!
                      Just Vegging Out

Comment

Good mod! LikeTLB says plenty of idiot guide piccys needed(for me anyway)
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Thanks for all your comments guys, we have two separate installations here. First is the electrical heater. There are several types available and easy installation diagrams are usually sent with the unit upon purchase. The second simpler installation is the heat exchanger. Usually has four ports- 2 inlets and 2 outlets. The fuel line uses 1 inlet and 1 outlet and the heater hose uses 1 inlet and 1 outlet. Check the diagram below.