X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new owner needs suggestions

hey guys
    im new to owning a hilux and brand new to the site
    i had a 1991 hilux imported a couple of months ago from tokyo to edmonton alberta canada and there really isnt many of them here there is a bunch of land cruiser but not many hilux at least that i have found there a re a couple of good shops made just for hiluxs and the land cruiser but they only work in restorations and oems not much custom stuff at all
    currently i have just recieved my order of parts from japan this includes a arb bull bar 2 arb air lokin diffs a snorkel and 8000 pound warn winch all of which are waitin to be put on i also have a double din alpine screen with a navigation system
    it already came froom japan with a nice diorma body lift rancho suspension and some nice 35" tires if u wanna see what it looks like when i got it
    you can see it on cardomain.com
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/1991hiluxsurf

which brings me to why i came here to ask callin aaround from shop to shop hasnt got me any ideas for what to do for more power im comtemplatin a custom pipe probaly a 2 1/2" strait pipe i would like a chip i belive there is a company that makes them and any thing else that would give my 2.4L turbo diesel engine a boost
    so if any one has any ideas pls let me know what it would do for me approxamite cost and where i can find them
    thanks for your time
    -stewart
    Last edited by 4wdtoyota; 13 September 2006, 19:37.

nice looking truck !!!!dont know how you will get more power from 2.4 but im sure someone on here will help you squeeze a little more power out of it
    forgot to say welcome
    Last edited by joker??; 13 September 2006, 19:39.
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

2 1/2" downpipe from the turbo.

Blow off valve to reduce turbo lag.

Intercooler.

Bobbox, (or equivalent).

Turbo wastegate spacing.
      Last edited by MattF; 13 September 2006, 19:44.

Comment

thanks i will look in to all of those mods
        which brings me to another question are engine swaps easily done how much is a new 3.2 enginne and is it worth doin

Comment

A couple more. Water injection and LPG fumigation. May have got the tech terms
          for those two wrong, but someone will correct me if so.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wdtoyota
            hey guys
            im new to owning a hilux and brand new to the site
            i had a 1991 hilux imported a couple of months ago from tokyo to edmonton alberta canada and there really isnt many of them here there is a bunch of land cruiser but not many hilux at least that i have found there a re a couple of good shops made just for hiluxs and the land cruiser but they only work in restorations and oems not much custom stuff at all
            currently i have just recieved my order of parts from japan this includes a arb bull bar 2 arb air lokin diffs a snorkel and 8000 pound warn winch all of which are waitin to be put on i also have a double din alpine screen with a navigation system
            it already came froom japan with a nice diorma body lift rancho suspension and some nice 35" tires if u wanna see what it looks like when i got it
            you can see it on cardomain.com
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/1991hiluxsurf

which brings me to why i came here to ask callin aaround from shop to shop hasnt got me any ideas for what to do for more power im comtemplatin a custom pipe probaly a 2 1/2" strait pipe i would like a chip i belive there is a company that makes them and any thing else that would give my 2.4L turbo diesel engine a boost
            so if any one has any ideas pls let me know what it would do for me approxamite cost and where i can find them
            thanks for your time
            -stewart
            Excuse my ignorance but what is a 'diorma body lift'?
            Brian

Comment

diorama is the brand that makes my body lift kit

Comment

and any thing else that would give my 2.4L turbo diesel engine a boost
                so if any one has any ideas pls let me know
                -stewart
                Hello Stewart,

That's gonna be some mean machine.

I recently fitted an intercooler - total cost about £150 - some new and some second hand bits. The power increase is noticable, especially now the weather is getting colder. Fairly easy mod given that you already have a body lift, giving you lots of room under the bonnet.

I have also been using Redex (its an injector cleaner) and I have been amazed at how much better it is starting in the mornings. Also seems to have helped acceleration.

So, off you go............. mods mods mods
                Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

diorama is the brand that makes my body lift kit
                  You have some nice toys in that garage
                  I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

thanks for the idea that will probaly be the next thing i will get for it
                    after that i want to upgrade the blow off valve and the down pipe maybe even the turbo
                    now what company would make such an intercooler can i just take any intercooler and mount it anywhere i see fit
                    where you mounted yours would probaly easiest i just got to find a intercooler like that i do happen to have an 88 rx7 intercooler and a hi peformance one tho they wont do much good for the hilux
                    so would my best bet be to just go around and try and find an intercooler that size off some old truck or is there a company that i could order anew one from or better yet one that is made specifically for this engine

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25052
                      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25648

Comment

hey 4wdtoyota... Who did you buy your Hilux from (who imported it)? I'm in Winnipeg and I want to get my hands on a hilux but my options are limited here. I don't have much bartering material - I can't say "well 'so and so' down the street has a better one for cheaper... but I'll give you a chance to beat him" Doesn't work that way when he knows there aren't that many importers in town!

If you have any tips or pointers for a fellow canuck - they'd be greatly appreciated!
                        Looking for a 1993 Surf 3.0TD in MB, Canada. HELP!

Comment

You beat me to it!

These guys may help http://www.thorntonbreakers.co.uk/

They say they export. I had my intercooler from them and the service was excellent. They only break 4x4's and seem to know what they're talking about.
                          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo

You beat me to it!
                            I was just filling in whilst Vince was neglecting his duty and sleeping, (of all things).

Comment

I do need beauty sleep you know!

Comment

Working...
                              X