Question From The Technically Challenged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question From The Technically Challenged

Are XD Picture cards all supposed to be physically the same size? We bought a 256Mb one to go in L's Olympus FE100 Digital Camera but it won't fit. It only goes 2/3 of the way in. She has a habit of accquiring new toys and not trying them out until after the warranty has expired. It won't fit in my mobile phone but it will fit in my Panasonic DMC-LC33 camera and will fit in the card slot of my printer. I am guessing that the Olympus camera is a duffer.
    It's only a hobby!

my mums olympus camera uses an XD card and that goes in so just the curved part of it is sticking out... but the slot is recessed so the cover closes it all in...

think it's just so you can push the card to eject... unlike some that you need long nails of a key to do it.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I suppose the question is does it work even though it doesn't fit all the way in?

Not unlike........no I probably shouldn't say something like that.

Comment

The XD card slot is next to the batteries so you can't power the camera up with the memory card part-way in because the battery door won't close.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

got a fuji takes xd card sounds like your cameras foobared
          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

you are putting the card in the right way?
            and pushing it till it locks in place?
            and making sure that the card hasn't just been pulled out so the eject mech is locked in the closed position???
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

The camera was a pressy from L's work for being employee of the month. It has an internal memory which will save about 16 Pics. As the memory card was no good for her camera I have put it in mine, so I can take more pics when off roadiing. All I have to do now is to remember to take the camera LOL!
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

theres different types of cards. have you got the right one for your camera.silly question did you put the card the right way in!!!

Comment

There are 3 different types of xd card; standard, type M and type H, but they are all physically the same. The differences seem to be in how the memory is organised and how fast they are.
                  Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                    I suppose the question is does it work even though it doesn't fit all the way in?

Not unlike........no I probably shouldn't say something like that.

Bragging?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                      Bragging?
                      i think it was just wishful thinking....
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                        i think it was just wishful thinking....

Comment

as previsouly mentioned... currently two types 'm' and 'h' (high speed)...

Olympus and FujiFilm created the specification for XD cards... so it should fit in the device...

see
                          http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/198_8525.htm

and
                          http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/im...h_20060810.pdf

Comment

Thanks Andy. According to the Olympus website the card we have got is supposed to be compatable with the FE-100 camera. It looks like the camera is a duffer.
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

ouch.... did it not come with a memory card... usually they supply at 16mb one with...

The other thing that might bite, is some of the older cameras won't handle the new type memory cards... 'm' and 'h'... that might be what is wrong.

On my new camera (Fuji E900)... it requires to 'format' the media before it will use it... it won't automatically use it... you might want to investigate that...?

Comment

Working...
                              X