Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=vatchman]
    Originally posted by The Mechanic
    There are no 'bangs' ina CI or SI engine, the combustion must be a rapid burn, a bang is an explosion more commonly reffered to as detonation or pinking.

sorry ill try to be more politically correct next time,there are people on this forum with no,or very little mechanical knowledge.tried to put it in simple leymans terms.
    HeHe i knew what yer ment, sort of more poke for your £
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
      I'm fixing mine on top as the fronts already full up, i can see the arguement re heat from the engine but what can ya do! if i make a scoop that will take most of the cooler i may be able to fit some sort of heat deflector under it along with some insulation material, they used this dense type foam with a layer of plastic in it and thick foil on each side in the engine comp of busses, it was about 3" thick though, plus the air has to escape easy'ly as it passes through the cooler, So space (clearance) is the bugbare, On the roof would be good if you dont mind it lookin like an iceland delivery truck Never mind something will turn up

Heat soak is not a problem when your driving, it's when your stationary that it affects the intercooler. Who needs more power when sitting in a traffic jam?
      Some people will come along and say, "heat soak will be a problem when you come to pull away from the lights or at a junction, there will be not cool air effect.....yada yada yada"
      If you want to pull out of a junction or away from the lights and leave twelve months worth of rubber on the road, then a Surf is not for you, get a hot hatch!

Comment

Know what you mean, i'm not expecting spectular results from the intercooler but any improvement is welcome, I was just thinking of some sort of shaped alloy plate to go under the cooler just to help deflect the heat a bit and also direct the air flow to the back, so it'd be less prone to hot air comeing from the front (rad) Like a scoop in reverse and upside down and if there's room for a bit of lagging! that'll do me
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Most of the under bonnet heat escapes out through the vents anyway, except when stationary, then the heat from the engine directly under the 'cooler will pass through it. The way I see it, when moving, air will rush in through the grille and the scoop and out through the vents and under the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
            Know what you mean, i'm not expecting spectular results from the intercooler but any improvement is welcome, I was just thinking of some sort of shaped alloy plate to go under the cooler just to help deflect the heat a bit and also direct the air flow to the back, so it'd be less prone to hot air comeing from the front (rad) Like a scoop in reverse and upside down and if there's room for a bit of lagging! that'll do me
            IAN tie BUSTERS lead to the front the cheaper option has the best results
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob

I seem to recall that the claim is the intercooler puts 20-25 bhp on the 3.0 so I'd expect 10-15 at least for the 2.4 .......
              Hello,

The 2.4 has about 100ish bhp. Agreeing with the above comment, I estimate about a 10 - 15% improvement in performance. Its most noticable going up long hills - this has all been covered in the other thread .

Tsk, Tsk Auldnick - if intercooling only offered 2bhp, why is it one of the first mods any OEM does to their engines????

Rolling roads would be of no use - the cooler only works when there is air rushing in through it, which doesn't happen when sitting on the rolling road.
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Modern rolling roads have a feed fan wot forces air down where it needs to go thats how they test cars & bikes that use ram air systems.

Comment

Working...
                X