Wheel Hubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Hubs?

New surf owner, mines a 92 SSRX 2.4. bit different to my old lumps, all landies from 2.5 petrol-3.9 V8. Definately getting converted though.
    Have a couple of small issues with.

1- Have flat hubs on rear wheels and a sticky outy hub on front wheels- any suggestions why?

2- ECT does not seem to work- is it worth fixing, any ideas what it might be?

3- Yes Im going to mention cylinder heads- any way of knowing that its been changed to non- cracking type, any telltale signs.

Thats all for now- ace web site!
    will be back, no doubt.

Originally posted by whitespider
    New surf owner, mines a 92 SSRX 2.4. Have a couple of small issues with.

1- Have flat hubs on rear wheels and a sticky outy hub on front wheels- any suggestions why?

The hubs on the back are just...well hubs
    The front ones are may be freewheeling hubs. Have a look at them, if they have a little lever thinghy on them and some writing that says "Free" and "Lock" then you have manual hubs, if they are made by AISN then you have the cream cheese ones just like me
    If after my little babble you are still confused then go and find another surf owner, we are all nice people and ask them.
    Last edited by simono; 14 January 2004, 09:58.
    Simon.O.
    '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by whitespider

2- ECT does not seem to work- is it worth fixing, any ideas what it might be?

ECT = Electronically Controlled Transmission, basicaly puts your auto box into a sport or performance mode
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by simono
        The hubs on the back are just...well hubs
        The front ones are may be freewheeling hubs. Have a look at them, if they have a little lever thinghy on them and some writing that says "Free" and "Lock" then you have manual hubs, if they are made by AISN then you have the cream cheese ones just like me
        If after my little babble you are still confused then go and find another surf owner, we are all nice people and ask them.
        Actuallt the front hubs stick out whether they have freewheeling hubs or standard hubs. Not quite sure why as all the stuff for the ADD system is in the Diff unit I think. Just design I guess.

Doh!!. Just thought.

On the front, the Hubs bolt through the disk and the front is IFS therfore you need some place for the outer CV joint. On the rear it's just a standard solid axle and the Hub isn't really a hub just the end of the driveshaft and therfore deosn't need to bolt on.

Think that makes sense (well to me it does but then I knew what I was trying to say).

With the Head the only way to tell is if the head casting number matches the engine number if you can find it.

Cheers

Comment

I have noticed that my front wheel centres say "Automatically Disconnecting Hub" on them. Could they be freewheeling jobbies?
          BTW. Checked my wheel nuts the other day and found three a little loose on one and two on another. Wake up call!
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
            I have noticed that my front wheel centres say "Automatically Disconnecting Hub" on them. Could they be freewheeling jobbies?
            BTW. Checked my wheel nuts the other day and found three a little loose on one and two on another. Wake up call!
            The Surf has a Automatic Disconnecting Differential (ADD).The hubs are locked to the shaft with a flange which has a spline to match the shaft.
            The wheel centres are just a cap to cover the hubs.Freewheeling hubs are fitted to replace the original flange and have a mechanism built in to lock or unlock.This has to be done manually.

Neville

Comment

Thanks Nev
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
              X