Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clay pigeon shooting

anyone done this before?

booked to go on Friday nr Aviemore. Will be taking own 12-guage and shells.
    I have shot & eaten a number of real pigeons, but never tried clays.

any tips? want to get some practice for the real thing, as still having trouble judging range and lead ahead of the target.
    thinking of a 100 clay session each, for my brother and I,
    not sure if thats too many or too few for a hour or so ?
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Don't fancy a days shooting in south Wales do you? All these feckers that keep pigeons around my area, c raping on washing and my truck!
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 5 September 2006, 14:10.

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
      anyone done this before?

any tips? want to get some practice for the real thing, as still having trouble judging range and lead ahead of the target.
      Just swing the gun with the clay & pull ahead, keeping the speed going.
      When you stand looking at the clay, with the gun down at rest in your hand, turn your body so that the barrels are pointing at the kill area (usually central)
      Then you can take the clay early or later without dipping your shoulder.
      Remember if you miss you are probably behind & above.
      Enjoy
      Side mounts are the new top mounts !

Comment

anyone done this before?

any tips?
        Don't try eating the clays

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Down the Line is easy enough, Skeet gets interesting, but Aviemore usually have a Game setting and is quite testing with high and low crosses you should enjoy it (just take plenty of cartridges) My sister tried a quick 25 and didn't check what loads were in my belt, and tried to use ely alphamax !
          Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

anyone done this before?

Wear ear plugs!
            Like javars said, set your feet up so the gun points naturally at your kill zone. Then track back with the gun to the point where you mount the gun on the target... Track back further with your eyes to where you first see the clay. Start moving as soon as you see the clay, mount and shoot as the clay goes through the kill zone. Don't forget to keep swinging through - if you stop the swing, you will most likely miss behind.

Have fun
            Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

cheers for the tips
              never thought about the stance before

I reckon I often stop swinging the gun just as i fire, causing a miss on pigeons
              just need the practice, which is why i want to try clays out

I have deben electronic ear defenders, which amplify normal background noise and auto block out the blast noise and any other loud noise, much more comfortable than ear plugs. got them so i could hear pigeons flapping out of trees on my shoot and talk to shooting companion

i will be taking around 300 carts, will probably do 100 clays, - side-by-side 12 guage. mixture of 6.5 and 7 carts. 30-32g

whats "down the line" and "skeet" ?

thinking of getitng a 3-shot semi auto one of these days
              Landcruiser Colorado
              Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                Don't try eating the clays

Trev

Clay pie...mmmmmmm
                Is it supposed to sound like this??

Comment

Shot that range a couple of times a few years ago on my hols, they do most stuff ranging from easy "birds" to hard as well as the bolting rabbit, when I was there they wouldnt let me use my own gun or ammo mibi because the smallest shot I had was 6 or more likley because they hired the gun and sold shells. 'Tiss a nice way to spend an afternoon if they weather is OK but doo's are much more fun specially now the barley is coming in.

As a matter of interest what do they charge nowadays?

Comment

You wil need more than an hour to get through 100 clays each, if it's busy and you move from diffo shoots IE away clays, towards, side, high & low and bolting rabbit sometimes there can be a wait. Anyway you dont want to rush it you pays the money so enjoy.

Comment

anyone done this before?

I shoot on Dartmore (not the escaped prisioners) and have mainly shot 'sporting'.

If you have not shot for some time I would suggest 60 clays might be better. If you do go for 100 clays make sure you have plenty of layers across your shoulder/chest pocket or an anti-recoil butt arrangement.

The trick to not getting a nasty bruise on your biceps is to make sure the butt is located firmly in the shoulder pocket. If it's loose it will 'kick back' and probably hit your biceps (painful ).

Best of luck.
                      Brian

Comment

ive been going out at least once a week last 2 months, after pigeons and bunnies, so shoulder used to it!

i would have thought 6's would have been fine for clays, - not too large!?
                        i will be taking mainly 7's along

price is £35 for 100 clays,
                        and £25 for 50 clays i think

I spoke to guy on phone, i can use own gun & shells, but need to bring SGC along for some reason.
                        i will be going on a Friday , so hopefully less busy
                        Landcruiser Colorado
                        Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
                          The trick to not getting a nasty bruise on your biceps is to make sure the butt is located firmly in the shoulder pocket. If it's loose it will 'kick back' and probably hit your biceps (painful ).

Best of luck.
                          try getting a black eye cos you're looking through telescopic sight with your eye only mm from the end!!...

oops!!

(i was drunk though, so a bit dumb to start with!)
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

ive been going out at least once a week last 2 months, after pigeons and bunnies, so shoulder used to it!

i would have thought 6's would have been fine for clays, - not too large!?
                            i will be taking mainly 7's along

price is £35 for 100 clays,
                            and £25 for 50 clays i think

I spoke to guy on phone, i can use own gun & shells, but need to bring SGC along for some reason.
                            i will be going on a Friday , so hopefully less busy
                            7s are ok for longer shots but if you get any close ones, which you normally do, 8s would be better.
                            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                              try getting a black eye cos you're looking through telescopic sight with your eye only mm from the end!!...

oops!!

(i was drunk though, so a bit dumb to start with!)
                              So, you were drunk with a loaded rifle in your hands??

Comment

Working...
                              X