aluminium prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminium prices

i've been looking at getting some ally bar to do a body lift.
    does anyone know of any cheap suppliers?
    i've been told 2.5" is £36 per metre and that's from my mates dad who's gonna cut and drill it all for me for £50
    is there anything cheaper i could use? obiously i don't want it going all rusty!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Originally posted by dabigman
    i've been told 2.5" is £36 per metre and that's from my mates dad who's gonna cut and drill it all for me for £50
    is there anything cheaper i could use? obiously i don't want it going all rusty!
    Nylon bushes, can't remember who but someone was looking into getting some made??????????
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
      Nylon bushes, can't remember who but someone was looking into getting some made??????????
      got it! i could rob the bags outside the liverpool oxfam shop, melt down all the shell suits and make some!

nice!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Unless you use a plastic material ( and to be honest anything worth using would probably be as expensive) I would think that Ally is probably the best.

One thing to worry about is there is no give in ally so the ride comfort will probably suffer a bit and you will need to make sure that the bolts that you use are very strong. You will build up extra stresses at the mounting point because of the additional leverage but then as long as you don't do more than a 2" lift then it probably won't be a problem.

Have a look at Roger Browns website cos he has a lot of info on these lifts and the pros and cons of different materials.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml

Cheers

Comment

I saw this the other day it's a bit far from you but might be worth a call .

In Swansea,Ferryboat Close, Tel:01792 797930

Comment

Matt

Try Lanner Ltd Unit J Telford Road Basingstoke... On the Houndmills Industrial Estate nr the Berry Bros roundabout. 01256-464277. They sourced all the ally sheeting and steel box for the new body on my horsebox. They will supply, cut, bend , weld any metal to any shape you want. They were also half the price of anywhere else I asked. Really nice, helpful people too... can't remember the boss' name - might have bin Brian or Trevor???

L
            Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

I was going to look into getting 2" lift blocks made but then someone posted that one company(can't remember which one) doe's a lift kit for only £55 I think.

But if I remember I will try and ask questions tomorrow and get some prices.
              I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
                I was going to look into getting 2" lift blocks made but then someone posted that one company(can't remember which one) doe's a lift kit for only £55 I think.

But if I remember I will try and ask questions tomorrow and get some prices.
                think it was milners m8
                Enjoying Life after Cancer
                Pops

Comment

Aluminium may cause more corrosion in the long run.There is all sorts of grades in aluminium and in contact with steel can cause electrolitic corrosion.This is a reaction between two different metals and can cause serious damage.Use a polyurethane material for the blocks.I'm sure someone over there sells it.

Neville

Comment

I agree with Nev. I wouldn't use ali. Any two dissimilar metals in contact, especially with the help of the road salt, will suffer from electrolytic corrosion. The bad results can be rapid. Go for polyeurothane or nylon blocks.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                    X