Intercooler fitted !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice short circuit.

Never leave tools on the battery, eg ratchet and extension next to positive terminal and new intercooler.

Inventive and I'm sure very successful instalation, the extra air vent in the bonnet will help with cooling the engine

Comment

It's o.k. he's got a 2.4, we're used to living life 'on the edge!'

Comment

Originally posted by The Mechanic
        Never leave tools on the battery, eg ratchet and extension next to positive terminal and new intercooler.
        Whats wrong with a few fireworks, it sharpens the senses ! Only kidding
        Side mounts are the new top mounts !

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch
          ... where you have your air intake (large filter), if all works -- the intake might just suck air through the intercooler from the bonnet scoop.. ...maybe you could fashion a housing so that the air filter has to get its air throught the intercooler radiator via your bonnet scoop which might cool the intercooler even more as well as providing cool air to the air filter...
          Wouldn't that mean warm air from the intercooler going into air filter, meaning warmer air going into the turbo, meaning warmer air into the intercooler and the cycle continues, surely you want to loose the heat not recycle it or am I looking at this wrong
          Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
            Wouldn't that mean warm air from the intercooler going into air filter, meaning warmer air going into the turbo, meaning warmer air into the intercooler and the cycle continues, surely you want to loose the heat not recycle it or am I looking at this wrong
            Darren

I can see you point, but I don't think it would make any noticable difference to the intake temp, as the air filter is already in a hot environment any way.

Comment

Javars,

do you have any pics of the bonnet after the bonnet scoop is fitted? Am looking to do the same sort of thing to my 2.8D Hilux. What vehcile is the bonnet scopp from?

By the way I think if you look at the air filter from an Aussie 2.8D Hilux it will solve the air filter problem as these sit in place of the 2nd battery if you dont mind loosing that... will post up a pic if yas want just let me know.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteknight
                Javars,

do you have any pics of the bonnet after the bonnet scoop is fitted? Am looking to do the same sort of thing to my 2.8D Hilux. What vehcile is the bonnet scopp from?

By the way I think if you look at the air filter from an Aussie 2.8D Hilux it will solve the air filter problem as these sit in place of the 2nd battery if you dont mind loosing that... will post up a pic if yas want just let me know.

Paul
                Cheers Paul
                But Air filter works just fine, and Id rather keep the spare battery, spesh this weather.
                Got the scoop from these www.nfauto.co.uk
                Steve

Comment

Javars,

Does that scoop fit nealty ontop of the intercooler? ie. same size?

Do you have a rubber seal under the boonet that seals the top of the intercooler to the bonnet when its closed?

Paul

Comment

i would love to have a go at doing this to my 2.4. What did the insurance company say? did they put it up? has it improved your mpg? it looks sweet and with the air filter in the original position it would be a great excuse to fit a snorkel good job
                    it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy
                      i would love to have a go at doing this to my 2.4. What did the insurance company say? did they put it up? has it improved your mpg? it looks sweet and with the air filter in the original position it would be a great excuse to fit a snorkel good job
                      uummm NEXT QUESTION !

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteknight
                        Javars,

Does that scoop fit nealty ontop of the intercooler? ie. same size?

Do you have a rubber seal under the boonet that seals the top of the intercooler to the bonnet when its closed?

Paul
                        Its about 2/3 the size of the cooler, theres no seal, but then again its petty close to the cooler anyway

Comment

dimensions?

Javars, do you have the dimensions of the bits of pipe you had to source separately? Also, how many bends and what type (ie how many degrees).

Comment

l200 intercooler big battery scrapyard - £20

Hats off to you, nice job!

I'm installing the same intercooler(I reckon, mine came off a turn of the century shogun) , picked it up at the local scrapyard today but I wondered, all these write ups concerning the instalation of an l200 cooler (and most other air to air coolers for that matter) mention nothing about the wiring up of a fan and there's a fan attached to mine and I think a thermostat coming from the cooler itself. Is the fan a good thing to have, or is it just tat that I can bin? Did you wire in the fan or just mount the cooler and connect the air pipes?

Whilst at the scrapyard I found a volvo diesel truck battery that fits the surf battery tray, it's a 600cca unit and it's made loads of difference defiite new lease of life.

l200 intecooler and big batt - £20 don't you just love the scrapyard!

Comment

thread is nearly two years old
                              Brian

Comment

must stop going online when I get home ####ed on a saturday night, cheers for the tip yoshie

Comment

Working...
                                X