Towbar Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towbar Wiring

ok, now before I get slated for posting another towbar wiring question, I would like to add, I have searched thoroughly on the posts, but there is a few q's that I would like before I start the wiring. The towbar is fitted, and I'd pretty much like a basic walkthrough before I start running cables everywhere

ok, here goes,

Its the standard towequipe towbar for the '96 3rd gen surf (believe its T882)

1) Is it best to run the electrics into the passenger or driver tail lights?

2) Do they only have to go to one side of the vehicle? and then transfer connections to other side?

2) If connections have to go to both sides, how many wires, if any, need to be connected to the other side? indicator, brake, tail?.

4) Is the wiring in the toweqipe sufficient (long enough) to make all connections to both sides without having to add your own lengths of wiring?

I've probably made that totally b l o o d y confusing than it needs to be, but I'd just like to get it clear in my head the way I've got to go about it.

Thanks for your patience and any info provided to a middle aged fart who is obviously losing his faculties....

cheers

Fieldsy

well, after taking a look at the wiring and trying to link it up with diagrams, my left hand indicator seems to be green/yellow (same as right side) wheras most links show that it should be green/black ??? any ideas please from those who've fitted a 3rd gen towbar

cheers

Fieldsy

Comment

well, guess what, I managed to do it all on my little lonesome, now perhaps you could answer the following multi choice.

seeing as there were 25 views and not one reply

was it?

a) No-one who viewed has fitted towbar electrics on a third gen
      b) Yes, you have fitted one, but couldn't be arsed to explain
      c) You thought there was enough info on the site for me to figure it out for myself.

If you answered;

a) fair enough, I understand completely

b) again, fair enough, but thanks for nothing, I thought people were here to help!!!!

c) thanks, that was a big help, cos I've managed to persevere, do it on my own and learnt something with the aid of certain posts, but would hope that if I was in serious $$$$, I would have got some advice from members, and from what I've learnt, I'll hopefully pass on to someone else and won't have to answer b) to my question.

cheers

Fieldsy

Comment

Originally posted by Fieldsy
        well, guess what, I managed to do it all on my little lonesome, now perhaps you could answer the following multi choice.

seeing as there were 25 views and not one reply

was it?

a) No-one who viewed has fitted towbar electrics on a third gen
        b) Yes, you have fitted one, but couldn't be arsed to explain
        c) You thought there was enough info on the site for me to figure it out for myself.

If you answered;

a) fair enough, I understand completely

b) again, fair enough, but thanks for nothing, I thought people were here to help!!!!

c) thanks, that was a big help, cos I've managed to persevere, do it on my own and learnt something with the aid of certain posts, but would hope that if I was in serious $$$$, I would have got some advice from members, and from what I've learnt, I'll hopefully pass on to someone else and won't have to answer b) to my question.

cheers

Fieldsy
        I was a) sorry
        Trust your Hound.

Comment

lol no probs m8y

Comment

haaaaaaa

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
            black n tan
            black n tan
            yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Fieldsy

You still on the forum m8? Could use your towbar electrical expertise on a 3rd gen ssrg.

That being, what colour wires do what like! heh.

Any help, much appreciated

Rob

Comment

hehe, well dug up, I never spotted this first time round!

I generally do as many wires as poss on one side, then you only need a indicator wire to run across the car. You may need to uprate the fuse on the side lights or brake lights though.

Wire colours may vary, but its easy to follow the wires to the light units, and work out which is which. There is plenty of room for connections in the corners of the trucks.

Make sure you terminate the Neg wire soundly, and inside the car to avoid corrosion, and its no biggy.

Scotchlocks DO work OK, especially inside, but never use them in a place that can get wet or on the outside of the vehicle though they will corrode and cause headaches, although wiring is nicer soldered and sleeved if you have the time and inclination and the perfectionists will poopoo the scothclocks.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thx for the response Tony. Will have a proper go at it tomorrow. Got a bit dark this evening!

Have the left hand side rear panel off and can see where the wires enter the rear light assembly, will have that out tomorrow and see which wires do what. I hadnt actually thought to look where the wires terminate! DOH.

Just the single wire over to the right light assembly then? For the indicator? Assume L/H and R/H brake lights work off the same wires.

Seems straight forward enough. O'Eck!

There is also some sort of buzzer thing which I am sure is very nice and all that, but I have no intention of fitting it. The 7 core cable points me to install wires into the buzzer. I;m just going to cut them and tape them. No biggie as far as I can tell they just drive the buzzer.
                  Last edited by biglouieuk; 21 June 2007, 22:55. Reason: Forgot to ask....

Comment

hope you soldered your joints as those scotch locks can be a pain

btw
                    im wiring mine up this weekend, i have got the wires into the vehicle using the grommets on the offside.
                    if your towbar is the same as mine and you value what you are going to tow and it is heavy then i strongly recomend getting the crossmember part welded to the chassis brackets, i dont trust the 2 m10 bolts holding it all together
                    see picture in the link http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...t=33725&page=8
                    john
                    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

i will post close up pictures when i do the wiring
                      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by biglouieuk

Just the single wire over to the right light assembly then? For the indicator? Assume L/H and R/H brake lights work off the same wires.
                        In the trailer socket, the tail lights are handed, but you can join them together OK to save time, but sometimes you needs a slightly bigger fuse if the trailer has a lot of running lights, the brake lights only work off one wire anyway.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                        X