Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update to the Ooops Intercooler thing

Hello,

So, an update for the Ooops we fitted an Intercooler.

Fuel economy - first week I was using more diesel due to me not being used to the extra power, I was going a lot faster than I normally do. Now fuel economy unaffected. I'm used to it.

The big difference has been more power - Linda noticed it as a passenger on a long run to St. Davids (she drives the truck quite a lot, usually home from the pub!) and couldn't believe being able to pick up speed going uphill from a slow start.

Today I fully serviced the truck and changed the glowplugs, and by undoing two jubilee clips the cooler was off, so the mod. hasn't been at the expense of servicability.

Overall verdict

YEAH BABY
    Another member of the 'A' team

Arrrrrggggghhhh More Power!

Good for you!

So with this intercooler, your engine should run more efficiently... therefore if you drove your truck the same way as you did before the intercooler instal (something that i'm sure would be very difficlut) then you theoretically should get better fuel economy... right?
    Looking for a 1993 Surf 3.0TD in MB, Canada. HELP!

Comment

Its kinda like driving the truck on a cold morning regardless of the weather. SHame there isnt enough room to fit the intercooler on the front grill but I guess your scoop does that work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Donk_UK
        Its kinda like driving the truck on a cold morning regardless of the weather. SHame there isnt enough room to fit the intercooler on the front grill
        Hello,

Exactly ref. the weather.

There's a few intercooler mods underway on 2nd gens.

We've had a top mount with 1.5'' body lift (2.4) - http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25052

We've had a side mount no lift - http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=25690

Vince is finishing off a top mount with no lift (I think no lift)

Now what we need is a 2nd gen 3.0litre top mount (which probably needs a body lift), but should be quite similar to my mod.

And we need someone to do a top mount on a 3.0litre 3rd gen. Should be able to do it without a lift but the turbo and inlet are in totally different places.

Comment

The side mount would have to be a lot more efficient than the top mount wouldnt it? as there is not as much chance of heat soak being to the side of the motor..

Comment

Well done Boyo, i'm very pleased about the increased power, have you modded your exhaust? ie: big bore, As Vince said, heat soak would only be a prob when in slow or heavy traffic (low air flow through the scoop) have you found any loss in power in traffic?, I'm hopeing to fit mine without any lift and will prob have to make my own scoop as i want to fit a kenlow fan or similar above the cooler for those traffic moments, Haveing said that i now have the clearance in the garage to get away with a 2" lift (body), depends on the cost if the lift kit, So busy indoors i wont be doin much to the truck this side or christmas,
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteknight
              The side mount would have to be a lot more efficient than the top mount wouldnt it? as there is not as much chance of heat soak being to the side of the motor..
              Probably more efficient as rhs of engine doesn't have any sources of heat (turbo, exhaust). I think you're looking at a difference of a few percentage points though. The main thing would be to have an intercooler.

They deffo work - get cutting........

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                have you modded your exhaust? ie: big bore, As Vince said, heat soak would only be a prob when in slow or heavy traffic (low air flow through the scoop) have you found any loss in power in traffic?, I'm hopeing to fit mine without any lift and will prob have to make my own scoop as i want to fit a kenlow fan or similar above the cooler for those traffic moments, Haveing said that i now have the clearance in the garage to get away with a 2" lift (body), depends on the cost if the lift kit
                Not modded exhaust - waiting for it to fall off then I'll think about that.

Not noticed drop of power in traffic.

Body lift will make the job much easier - whatever you lift, the same gap appears between the top of the engine and the underside of the bonnet. Milners are flogging lifts for £55 +vat.

I've kept an eye on things over the summer. Stopping after a long run, and checking hoses etc. The hose out of turbo you can hardly hold its that hot, blue hose into manifold - warmish, but seriously cooler that the other hose.

Comment

Cheer's Andy, that sounds a very good price for the body lift kits, i'll check em out, never really bothered about looking at how it's done as i never thought i'd get the top clearance, i'll have to do some searching!
                  I take it it's a matter of fitting spacers to the body mounts and extending the steering columb, dont know if any thing else would be req for 2" lift, I parted the body from the chassi on my old Buick and the only prob i encountered was the two rear ones were held by captive nuts within the chassi, i had to cut away small sections of trunk floor to get at em, are any of the surf ones captive? Ian

Comment

Cheer's Andy, that sounds a very good price for the body lift kits, i'll check em out, never really bothered about looking at how it's done as i never thought i'd get the top clearance, i'll have to do some searching!
                    I take it it's a matter of fitting spacers to the body mounts and extending the steering columb, dont know if any thing else would be req for 2" lift, I parted the body from the chassi on my old Buick and the only prob i encountered was the two rear ones were held by captive nuts within the chassi, i had to cut away small sections of trunk floor to get at em, are any of the surf ones captive? Ian
                    have a look here

http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ead.php?t=4713

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/php_lib/v...at=3&submit=Go

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/bodylift.htm

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/offroadto...58382765481703
                    bought my surf from danno and love it, cheers!

hope these help you get lifted!
                    it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Cheers, i'll check em out

Comment

are any of the surf ones captive? Ian

Follow the posted links - the lift is easy enough. There bolts are easy access - worst two are the ones hiding behind the front bumper - its a pain to take off as it gets rusted on.

The Milners kit does not have the front bumper brackets - I haven't bothered moving mine yet.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                          the lift is easy enough. There bolts are easy access - worst two are the ones hiding behind the front bumper
                          How many bolts are there, and where are they??
                          It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                            heres a link to doing the lift Dave
                            http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ead.php?t=4713
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                              Follow the links on the last post of page one of this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X