yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone running 100% veg on a single tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone running 100% veg on a single tank?

Recently got a 2.4 surf and been experimenting with WVO in it. Had lots of other veg powered cars most running on 90-100% veg. On 100% in the surf I experienced power loss and engine check light comming on. Fitted a pump to help pull up fuel to the injector pump and that seems to have rectifyied the problem. I think however 10% unleaded might be the answer. Anyone else running high percentages?

Cheers ALex

Don't think anyone's actually running 100 percent. Would be worthwhile
    fitting a coolant/fuel heat exchanger if you're running on neat oil. Is the
    electric pump flow rate close to the normal mech pump rate, or is it just
    pretty much a bog standard electric pump? How's it faring? Been wondering
    for a while regarding this point, as to whether it would need a flow matched
    pump or not. With regards to the petrol, some do use that as a thinner, but
    I personally wouldn't let it anywhere near a diesel engine.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
      I personally wouldn't let it anywhere near a diesel engine.
      Totally agree Matt,

Automotive companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars developing and perfecting their products. Like it or not, they generally know what they're doing.

Whilst thinning your diesel with some kind of veggie oil has proven to cause no long term worries, what your suggesting sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Good luck, coz I think you're gonna need it.
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

The electric pump is a diapham pulse type pump very simialar to the pumps used on older SU type carb cars. They are good because they will deliver as much as the IP needs and cut out when demand is low. It's early days but I think it can cope ok. I'm hopfully not headed for disaster but I will keep you posted either way!

Comment

Also, you'll need more frequent fuel filter changes, and keep an eye out for little puddles on the ground under the engine near the nearside wheel as this indicates the uel pump seal is leaking. The fuel pump seals don't seem to like 100% veg oil. I was using it last summer and noticed little puddles appering. Changed back to 100% diesel and the leaks stopped, so I think it's best to dillute the veg oil with a drop of diesel to keep the pump seals happy.

By the way, welcome to Surfdom!

Comment

Originally posted by coldbeer
            The electric pump is a diapham pulse type pump very simialar to the pumps used on older SU type carb cars. They are good because they will deliver as much as the IP needs and cut out when demand is low. It's early days but I think it can cope ok. I'm hopfully not headed for disaster but I will keep you posted either way!
            Cheers. This is one thing I haven't been able to find out a usable answer to,
            upto just.

Comment

Working...
            X