essential items to carry???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• essential items to carry???

ive got new tyres fitted, its had a service, its going to have a wash tomorrow, im ready to fill my water jerry can, check the oil and water level...

then Im off on monday at the crack of the farting sparrow to drive through france again for 10 days, first stop Tours, hopefully I will manage it on one tank if I drive carefully.
    last year my cylinder head blew while i was out there and was rescued by some friendly belgian truck drivers...
    its been replaced by TonyN but even so, this year I still want to err on the side of caution because i never bother with euro breakdown cover... I cant always rely on female charm to get by in times of strife.

I normally carry, (day to day) in my back storage areas and under the seats: An 18" breaker bar and correct sized socket for the wheel nuts ( the standard one in the tool kit is pants), hammer, mallet, stanley knife, cable ties ( many sizes) gaffer tape, insulation tape, screwdriver set, 48 piece socket set, jump leads, tow strap, warning triangle, massive first aid kit ( im a first aider and I get it free with work), adjustable spanner & mole grips, pair of leather work gloves, WD40, spray grease, tyre foam ( enough cans for one tyre), a roll of magic putty that sets like steel, day glow reflective vest, spare bulbs, spare fuses, blanket, high pressure stirrup pump ( this is for my bikes but i can use it on the car too)a torch/ lantern and finally in the front I keep an emergency hammer/cutter for the windows and seat belt in case I roll it into a drainage ditch

things I think I should have but dont at the moment: emergency engine belt and a fire extinguisher

SO thats the sensible stuff, have I forgotten anything? what other essential tools must a girl carry in her surf when travelling alone?
    funny answers welcome
    she's no angel

Originally posted by Toyney
    ive got new tyres fitted, its had a service, its going to have a wash tomorrow, im ready to fill my water jerry can, check the oil and water level...

then Im off on monday at the crack of the farting sparrow to drive through france again for 10 days, first stop Tours, hopefully I will manage it on one tank if I drive carefully.
    last year my cylinder head blew while i was out there and was rescued by some friendly belgian truck drivers...
    its been replaced by TonyN but even so, this year I still want to err on the side of caution because i never bother with euro breakdown cover... I cant always rely on female charm to get by in times of strife.

I normally carry, (day to day) in my back storage areas and under the seats: An 18" breaker bar and correct sized socket for the wheel nuts ( the standard one in the tool kit is pants), hammer, mallet, stanley knife, cable ties ( many sizes) gaffer tape, insulation tape, screwdriver set, 48 piece socket set, jump leads, tow strap, warning triangle, massive first aid kit ( im a first aider and I get it free with work), adjustable spanner & mole grips, pair of leather work gloves, WD40, spray grease, tyre foam ( enough cans for one tyre), a roll of magic putty that sets like steel, day glow reflective vest, spare bulbs, spare fuses, blanket, high pressure stirrup pump ( this is for my bikes but i can use it on the car too)a torch/ lantern and finally in the front I keep an emergency hammer/cutter for the windows and seat belt in case I roll it into a drainage ditch

things I think I should have but dont at the moment: emergency engine belt and a fire extinguisher

SO thats the sensible stuff, have I forgotten anything? what other essential tools must a girl carry in her surf when travelling alone?
    funny answers welcome
    i would think that should cover you,as for anything else you women normally carry that $$$$ in your handbags dont you
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

the handbag is the weapon of choice, usually containing items heavy enough to be considered a brick.

there must be something ive forgotten... why is it, no matter how well planned a trip is, I always feel like im forgetting something important just before I leave.
      Mind you I will have time to have a think about what I might have forgotten as I usually sleep in a pub carpark near dover the night before I have to catch the ferry. Sod getting up at 4am to catch a 7am ferry. I can sleep in comfort and wake up at a sensible time if I do a spot of "carping"

.... actually, I nearly got arrested just over a week ago by undercover police at victoria station in london. I had parked up in the taxi/pick up area waiting for some family to come out of the station and was standing on the side step looking out over the top of the surf with A-Z in one hand and mobile phone in the other trying to guide my family through the victoria maze, some blokes who looked they were on a night out on the sauce came over and looked like they were going to get in my car, I told them i wasnt a taxi and t back off, they didnt and insisted on talking to me, i told them I would scream if they came closer, then they said they were the police, and i said ( in a few choice swear words because I am a very charming lady... ) that "yes of course you are police officers, I dont think I believe you"... so one of them very discreatly showed me his id badge and said quietly that if i didnt move they would have to arrest me and move my car because they had an undercover operation going in that area.......
      Last edited by Toyney; 24 August 2006, 20:13.
      she's no angel

Comment

car keys?

Comment

make sure your spare is all ok too.Have a good trip
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I would take a big mag light .......It has multiple uses when meeting unfriendly people......Mostly found in Dover
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

How the hell are you going to get through 10 days of France on one tankful??

You forgot the beer.

Oh, and some food.

Kids?

Partner?

Tent's always a good un
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                How the hell are you going to get through 10 days of France on one tankful??
                She may only be going 20 miles per day.

Comment

If I weren't married, I'd be proposing. A woman after my own heart. I'd
                  definitely recommend getting a fire extinguisher before you go. Get one of the
                  dry powder types. They'll cover every type of fire you'd encounter in a vehicle.
                  They cost less than fifteen quid. Give the canister a good rap with a rubber
                  mallet when you get it, just in case the powder has settled a tad. It loosens it up
                  nicely.

Extra things for your list:

1) Amalgamating tape. Allows for making waterproof electrical connections.
                  2) 2 gallon container of engine oil and filter. They have been known to pop
                  on occasion.
                  3) Rubber hoses. All bores found under the bonnet. Can dig you the sizes out
                  if you like.
                  4) Selection of wire, crimp connectors and crimping tool.
                  5) Selection of Jubilee clips, various sizes. Can dig you the sizes out for those
                  as well if you want.

With the belts, it wouldn't hurt to carry a spare set, but may be overkill.
                  Something along the lines of sash cord would make a usable temporary
                  belt, and a spool of that wouldn't take up much room. Spare rad cap and
                  thermostat are also an option. Now getting to complete paranoid level, ,
                  blanket, food and water/liquids. Just in case you have a remote location
                  breakdown in adverse weather. You could carry one of those little folding
                  shovels, as well. (You never know).

Comment

blimey, its only france.... i believe they have electrickery and everything over there now...
                    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

You can't be overly prepared. You just never know.

Another thing I forgot. A tube of gasket sealant.
                      Last edited by MattF; 25 August 2006, 01:12.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                        If I weren't married, I'd be proposing. A woman after my own heart. I'd
                        definitely recommend getting a fire extinguisher before you go. Get one of the
                        dry powder types. They'll cover every type of fire you'd encounter in a vehicle.
                        They cost less than fifteen quid. Give the canister a good rap with a rubber
                        mallet when you get it, just in case the powder has settled a tad. It loosens it up
                        nicely.

Extra things for your list:

1) Amalgamating tape. Allows for making waterproof electrical connections.
                        2) 2 gallon container of engine oil and filter. They have been known to pop
                        on occasion.
                        3) Rubber hoses. All bores found under the bonnet. Can dig you the sizes out
                        if you like.
                        4) Selection of wire, crimp connectors and crimping tool.
                        5) Selection of Jubilee clips, various sizes. Can dig you the sizes out for those
                        as well if you want.

With the belts, it wouldn't hurt to carry a spare set, but may be overkill.
                        Something along the lines of sash cord would make a usable temporary
                        belt, and a spool of that wouldn't take up much room. Spare rad cap and
                        thermostat are also an option. Now getting to complete paranoid level, ,
                        blanket, food and water/liquids. Just in case you have a remote location
                        breakdown in adverse weather. You could carry one of those little folding
                        shovels, as well. (You never know).
                        I forgot to mention that i always carry a spare bottle of engine oil too. and the folding shovel, my boyfriends got that in his car at the mo... cuz hes camping rough so to speak.

All the stuff i mentioned before is in my car normally on a day to day basis...
                        the only thing i add for long journeys sometimes is a water jerry can and a fuel jerry can, the reason I started this thread was to find out what else I should be carrying... the extinguisher is on my list to get before i head off, although part of me says, if it burns, let it burn... i could just claim on the insurance.

I always have emergency food and drink rations in the car too as well as sun block, thats under the passenger seat next to the bog roll and warning triangle.

and i always have scissors and glue in my hand bag.
                        glow sticks are dead handy too at night... so I have a bundle of those stashed next to my art paints and pencils in the driver seat back... you never know when youre going to stumble across a rave in the middle of the night.

I suppose I do carry a fair bit in my surf...

Im saving some cargo space to bring the beer and wine back... and some butter biscuits and a man.

I recon if I find the one I want, I could just flash my mag light in his eyes at night, he will be stunned for long enough for me to clobber him with the mallet and bundle him into the back...

thats where the gaffer tape comes in handy...

no, Im joking... im only joking...
                        she's no angel

Comment

[QUOTE=Toyney]... the extinguisher is on my list to get before i head off, although part of me says, if it burns, let it burn... i could just claim on the insurance.QUOTE]

but insurance companies don't give money back.................do they?

Comment

[QUOTE=BUSHWHACKER]
                            ... the extinguisher is on my list to get before i head off, although part of me says, if it burns, let it burn... i could just claim on the insurance.QUOTE]

but insurance companies don't give money back.................do they?
                            Give ? Give ?

Come on Vince, they LOAN it to you, they will get it back with loaded premiums.

Trev
                            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

[QUOTE=UDTrev]
                              Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER

Give ? Give ?

Come on Vince, they LOAN it to you, they will get it back with loaded premiums.

Trev

Phew!! I thought the world went all topsey turvey then for a minute!

Comment

Working...
                              X