Another bites the dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another bites the dust

Well my beloved surf is now heading to the truck heaven in the sky (No pun intended)
    Yesterday I took the kids and dogs for a trip to the New forest and the beach for a swim well the dogs anyway.
    On the way home the temp gage light came on and smoke poured out of the exhaust luckly just coming on the the Winchester services slip road so pulled off. Just got round the bend engine dies thuse losing sterring and brakes can't see much as the smoke is pouring through the air vents and all over the bonnet manage to park grab kids and dogs and watch the car go up in smoke literally Panic station thought car was on fire but luckly not.
    All the people in the services run out to move their cars just incase!!
    So there we were stood in the pouring rain 2 kids 2 dogs waiting for the recovery truck to take us home.The mean service station dont let dogs in can you beleive it

So its now for sale 1 x slightly broken engine will put it in the for sale section.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/cassie08100

Sorry to hear that ... i hope you find another Surf... all in all reading the threads Surfs do have their problems.. but are nothing compared to the problems the Range Rover classic I had (3.9 V8 ). Every trip out was an adventure... It usually cost about £400 -£800 every two months in repair bills...
    You got used to the strange looks as you had to open the bonnet to hot wire her to start...( ahh Lucas electrics....)
    Every new noise sounded expensive and usually was...

Her final trip just going across town the auto gearbox exploded ...I still remember the sound of grating metal and bits exploding as I drove.... then in her final death throes a gasket gave somewhere and oil and coolant were instantly dumped all over the road.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

AAAAHHHH THE JOY OF MOTORING!!!

if work dont make u ill , ya car will!!!!!!
      CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

any ideas

On what caused it,

just so's we know what to look out for

richard

Comment

Originally posted by slowdown.harrison@gmail.c
          On what caused it,

just so's we know what to look out for

richard

Not sure I guess it was the head imploding no signs,no temp gauge rising rapidly,the engine management light came on the temp gage was still normal,cold air out of the vents.No loss of power from the engine until it cut out and it filled with smoke.
          Topped up with oil and water before setting off so your guess is as good as mine??

Must admit rather impressive smoke plume in the car park.
          Just been out car looking sorry guys it might have to be a volvo for the mean time espc with this new tax thing hanging over our heads which is a shame as I love my surf was thinking of selling this one and upgrading to 3 gen but can't at the mo due to lack of funds
          How much do you reckon I could get for said broken car? would rather sell entire than go through the bother of breaking it

Comment

Originally posted by darkangel
            Not sure I guess it was the head imploding no signs,no temp gauge rising rapidly,the engine management light came on the temp gage was still normal,cold air out of the vents.No loss of power from the engine until it cut out and it filled with smoke.
            Topped up with oil and water before setting off so your guess is as good as mine??

Must admit rather impressive smoke plume in the car park.
            Just been out car looking sorry guys it might have to be a volvo for the mean time espc with this new tax thing hanging over our heads which is a shame as I love my surf was thinking of selling this one and upgrading to 3 gen but can't at the mo due to lack of funds
            How much do you reckon I could get for said broken car? would rather sell entire than go through the bother of breaking it

The price will be dependent on what fault it has realy.
            But to be honest it will not be worth a great deal as they arnt going for good money when in g.w.o.
            CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

looks a nice tool too
              mine is the same m8
              it failed on my wife a few months ago and later found to be seized bottom end
              i have just put it in the breaking section as to sell in one lump it i was offered 500 quid?

Comment

Originally posted by 1sttimer
                looks a nice tool too
                mine is the same m8
                it failed on my wife a few months ago and later found to be seized bottom end
                i have just put it in the breaking section as to sell in one lump it i was offered 500 quid?
                God is that all I was hoping to get about £1000 or there abouts for it we shall have to see.Its even got £30 worth of diesel I had just put it in early up the road

I have a load of milners bits in the garage too. Just replaced the front shocks & air filter etc was getting the rest done next week Not sure do milners take things back or should I just stick them on here/ebay to sell??Can't remember whats in there just know I spent a fortune I shall have to rumage

Comment

Why not get DR TONY to ascertain what damage has been done to see if he can repair it.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                    Why not get DR TONY to ascertain what damage has been done to see if he can repair it.

My OH has just spoken to him just need to weigh up pros and cons to see if its worth spending the money to only get £2.5k once its done.
                    There is one on ebay non runner for about £920 so I think I shall put it on there on Monday to see what happens
                    But I just can't make up my mind what to do..

Comment

Ah Ha...

So you put thirty quids worth of diesel in did you and then all this smoke happened just down the road...strange that..it was diesel was it? Temp guage reading normal, cool air from the vents, no sudden warning ...until the petrol got hold of that injection pump!!!!

Seriously sorry to hear of your dead Surf. Maybe all is not lost and you just need to source the real cause and work out some costs. The vehicle looks tidy enough and well worth keeping on the road. You'd get more then a grand if you broke it. Theres a rolled Surf on this sight thats being broken maybe your solution lies there

Comment

Originally posted by The Mechanic
                        So you put thirty quids worth of diesel in did you and then all this smoke happened just down the road...strange that..it was diesel was it? Temp guage reading normal, cool air from the vents, no sudden warning ...until the petrol got hold of that injection pump!!!!
                        Hi I must admit I ran out to check the reciepts from the garage but it was diesel not petrol so I guess its not the injector pump then worth a try.
                        I was trying to find any excuse that it wouldn't the the head but I need to face facts its is

Originally posted by The Mechanic
                        The vehicle looks tidy enough and well worth keeping on the road. You'd get more then a grand if you broke it. Theres a rolled Surf on this sight thats being broken maybe your solution lies there
                        Its really is a clean car not seen many as good as mine (even if I do say so myself)The nonrunner on ebay made £1400 so I guess I shall give it a go.Stick a reserve on and try my luck although my luck might of run out

Comment

Working...
                        X