Intercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler

I'm still waiting for dvla to send reg. docs. for my Surf.
    Now before the search police get involved. I did search but it only caused more head scratching. I thought I knew how an intercooler worked and undertsand the theory, but looking at pics of intercooler mods I'm uterly confused. The way I understand it is, that the air is forced through the intercooler element from the filter into the turbo. Looking at some pics after the search I noticed that the induction pipes didn't seem connected to the intercooler system at all. So now I don't have a clue. I'd like one on my surf. So how does it all work?

its no good cooling the air before the turbo.the intercooling takes place after the turbo.i.e before it goes into the inlet manifold.so what happens is this the air is picked up through the air filter,then into the turbo,where it is then pressurised and as everyone knows you compress air it becomes hot,it also picks up heat from the turbo due to the exchange of exhaust gases to make the turbo spool up.it is then pressure fed in to air to air intercooler,the air is then cooled down by the cooler air coming in from outside of the engine bay,it is then fed under pressure to the intake manifold.thus making the air more dense giving a bigger bang and making more power.does that help.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Certainly helped me...i didn't know!

Comment

Diagram here....
        http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo1.htm

Comment

It's all so simple now.

Thanks to BUSHWHACKER and vatchman. It's a lot simpler than I ever thought.
          Cheers.

Comment

Working...
          X